Author Topic: An apple a day!  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
An apple a day!
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »
It was probably only about a year ago that I first had a go at making apples and pears; up until then I never really fancied it. However, I designed and made my own chuck for turning them, such that I could cut standard sized blanks, 65mm square stock, 80mm long for apples and 120mm long for pears. Each blank gives a fruit complete with its own stalk, so there's no waste at all, beyond the 2 or 3mm that gets sanded off the end of the stalk so that it's left at a jaunty angle, which seems to look better than leaving it squared off. I can now comfortably turn out a batch of ten in just over 2 hours, including buffing them with microcrystaline wax.
A couple of weeks ago I was low on stock of fruit in the shop, so rummaged around in my boxes of scrap woods to see what blanks I could prepare, and made a batch of 20. When I got them to the shop we realised that there really were two different qualities; the basic ones out of the less striking timbers, and the more attractive ones out of scraps of burrs, bits of laburnum, yew etc, so we decided to have a range of 'Premium Timbers' fruit, and to bump the price up quite a bit. These were put in the window, displayed on a yew platter, and a customer came in the next day and bought the whole lot. So yesterday I made another batch and managed to complete 16 in a little over 3 hours. We've displayed them in a little sea-grass box and bumped the price up a little, again.
Let's see how they sell this time!

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: An apple a day!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
Nice assortment. I haven't really done any fruit so far, but started thinking about it recently. If it's not too cheeky to ask, how much do you charge per "premium" apple or pear?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:24:09 PM »
....If it's not too cheeky to ask, how much do you charge per "premium" apple or pear?

I might be shot down in flames for this, fuzzy, as I know that this is a contentious issue, but I charge £12.50 a piece. It grosses me about £60 per hour and the costs, in terms of materials, are not high, so it's a figure I'm happy with.

Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:26:29 PM »
Sounds about right as you sell from your own outlet you keep all the money

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:33:22 PM »
Sounds about right as you sell from your own outlet you keep all the money

Regards George

That's a relief, George.....my greatest fear with the new venture is that I would sell too cheap and appear to be undercutting other turners. The batch that sold out in a day of being in the window went out at £12 each and I had to come to a tricky decision. Was it just another stroke of luck that they all sold so quickly, or was it because I was selling too cheaply. Your endorsement has just been a bit of a confidence booster, George. Thanks.

Les