Author Topic: Shed ventilation  (Read 2985 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Shed ventilation
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
Ladies & Gentlemen

I've  had  new heavy duty felt  put on my shed roof; the chap who fitted it suggested that I  block the gap between the underside of the roof and the top of the walls to prevent bugs crawling into the shed.

This gap is  because the purlins [?] supporting the wood of the roof lie on the tops of the walls.

However, blocking the gap would  also block the ventilation.

I  have the materials to do this - but thought that I  should  ask a bunch of experts if it's a good idea.

Your  views please

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC Black

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: Shed ventilation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
I had a similar situation some time ago and simply fitted some fine mesh (mosquito type netting) which kept bugs out whilst still leaving ventilation.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
i guess it depends on if you need the ventilation, in the summer its ok - in the winter its a big heat loss area, i prefer to just open a window for ventilation or leave the door open.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »
i guess it depends on if you need the ventilation, in the summer its ok - in the winter its a big heat loss area, i prefer to just open a window for ventilation or leave the door open.

This is  my Store Shed rather than my workshop.

So there's no heating, no electrickery supply and no opening windows across which are bolted steel bars (to discourage burglars)

I  was thinking more of ventilation to prevent damp, mould, or other problems that might result for lack of ventlation [about which I  know nothing - hence the question].

Very many thanks

MC Black

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
If it's a storage shed, I wouldn't bother at all. Your wood (if stored in there) will probably benefit from the ventilation, and no matter how fine the mesh is, the bugs will get in anyway.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
sorry i hadnt thought it was a store shed - maybe cover with some mesh as said if you want to keep the bugs or birds out,
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?