Author Topic: How much the beauty of the wood effects the final appearance of a piece  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Following a previous post of mine in another thread, indeed not too clear, I would like to discuss, the importance of wood in the final appearance of a piece.
I believe that a beautiful piece of wood is a good raw matherial for a turner but it should be seen as such, and not the main reason to judge a piece.

In other words, sorry if I cannot be clearer, I believe that a turned piece should be judged mainly for the execution rather than the intrinsic beauty of the wood itself which has nothing to do with the skills of the turner or the final shape of the piece. A well executed piece turned from a dull piece of wood is often overlooked whereas a poorly executed turning from a beautiful piece of wood is often overestimated.

Certainly decorations, embellishments or color may be important in the appearance of a turned piece, but nothing can improve a bad curve, shape or profile. In my opinion the execution, the shape, the form and the tactile sensation (difficult from a photo) of a piece should be the priorities for its evaluation. Wood is a magnificien material, for its beauty, workeability but also for the nice sensations that it gives to our tactile sense.

Offline ColWA

• iron
G'day Sevilla,

Are you talking about an organised competition or in general ?

In our Local club MWT  http://mandurahwoodturners.com/   & also WA State competitions  http://www.woodturnerswa.com/

Both of these have a "Timber choice" as part of the criteria for judging.

Although I know that to most people the visual appearance means a lot.

Col

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Hi Sevilla....I think that you put your case very succinctly.

There are several issues surrounding this argument. Sometimes a 'bland' piece of wood is the best piece to use when form is important because the clean, sweeping line of a well shaped curve can be overshadowed by an erratic grain pattern, in  exactly the same way as a complex shape, with intrinsic features (e.g. a finial) could be. Furthermore, it is often the case that a particular feature in a piece of wood (e.g. an area of burr) could be lost completely by simply being reduced to shavings if the turner had a predetermined shape in mind. I'm sure that most, if not all of us, have changed our design to suit the piece of wood we have been working on. Thus, when an onlooker judges the piece for the beauty of the grain, he/she is probably unaware that it was the skill of the turner that brought the beauty to the fore.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Probbly my question should be: what attracts more in a turning: the beauty of the wood or the technical details of it.
In my experience the beauty of the wood is the first factor and it can overcome even a bad turning.
Regards.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Well, I have seen some rather splendid pieces of wood totally murdered by bad execution and/or bad design. I'd say the beauty of the wood will enhance the final piece, but it cannot overcome bad technique or finish, no way.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Well, I have seen some rather splendid pieces of wood totally murdered by bad execution and/or bad design. I'd say the beauty of the wood will enhance the final piece, but it cannot overcome bad technique or finish, no way.

I honestly think Fuzzy said it all and summed it up perfectly.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!