Author Topic: Tall pot in reclaimed oak  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Tall pot in reclaimed oak
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
This is one of my last pieces of reclaimed oak (unless I can persuade the owner of several pieces to sell some more to me), so I decided to make something different to the bowls and pots that I've previously made from this stock. They were all solid, chunky bowls, to reflect the nature of the wood, but I'd been looking at some forms that Ray Key used to make, and fancied having a go. I'm not sure that this was a wise choice.....the wood has lots of natural features and getting such a fine rim and thin wall was a bit of a challenge. Quite happy with the result, though!

It's a little over 8" tall and just under 6" diameter, with a base of 1 1/2" diameter, and is finished with thinned Danish Oil - the grain is tight and the timber very dense, so un-thinned oil just won't sink in.

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Tall pot in reclaimed oak
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:43:54 PM »
Not sure of this one Les, the shape doesn't work for me personally as it seems to come too much to a point at the base. Apart from that looks well done and a good use of the wood.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:15:10 PM »
Hi Les,
You done a good job on this as it's not easy to achieve a thin wall on oak like this.
I agree with Pete's comment about the base as overall it looks slightly out of proportion to the wide rim.
Regards
Ken

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
I love pieces like that. Take somebody else's junk and do something with it.
Very nice thin walls, but I would agree that the shape doesn't work for me too well. It's not far off, though. I don't think the foot is too small, it's more the way it tapers towards the foot. The last few inches seem to be almost straight, and I believe it would look better if there was more of a curve to it.

I definitely looks better lying on its side. Maybe you should consider using a piece of driftwood as a stand?

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »
Stability issues aside that is a lovely shape and a very striking bit of wood. Well done Les.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
Stability issues aside that is a lovely shape and a very striking bit of wood. Well done Les.

This is interesting....the general opinion here is that the shape doesn't work.....the general opinion on Woodturners Unlimited forum (which is principally American) is that the shape is OK. the response from people who have seen it at the shop is good, so I'm sticking a £65 price tag on it and let's see how it does.

Stability isn't an issue...the bottom 1 1/2", from the dead knot down, is solid and it sits well. Even a slight push and it wobbles back into place.

Les

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:20:44 AM »
that seems to be the general opinion, not mine.

i like it and don't think that that is a shape seen nearly enough. a nice gentle curve up the side and nicely proportioned me thinks.

i've a whole beam of 6" (some nicely burred) if you're interested les?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »
....The last few inches seem to be almost straight....

Hi fuzzy....this an effect that the camera has brought in its interpretation of perspective.....I'm always amazed by the way that a gentle curve can appear quite different in a two dimensional representation, to what it is in real life. The curve to the foot is, in fact, continuous and there is even a very slight outward curve at the very bottom, but I see what you're saying....the image does make it look flat.

.....i've a whole beam of 6" (some nicely burred) if you're interested les?

Let's see what this local chap has to say when I see him later this week. he has several eight-foot lengths, each about 6"x6" in section, and it's a ll as burred and weathered as this piece.....besides which, I am trying to source my timber locally to keep my costs and my carbon footprint down.
Les

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
that's ok les, there are three 6" burrs in the beam and my theory was that they could be the bottom of vases? with the rest straight grain for the neck of a tall vase.

i'll try and get a picture and send you an email.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
No arguments about liking it here Les, you've turned this to show off the timber and done a great job of it.

You say the grain is very tight, is it possible it was the base of the tree, where it had to support the rest of the weight, grain tends to become very tight and dense in that area.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!