Author Topic: apple bowl.  (Read 4420 times)

Offline steve w

• bronze
apple bowl.
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »
had a few hours in my workshop today and although i am embarressed to show you this bowl after seeing the quality of your work i thought i would share it. its some apple that was cut down a few years ago, although my turning methods are crude i am pleased with it, as i have done little turning, i am going to get tuition soon but for now i have so much work on it will have to wait.  

the bowl is about 6.5 inches at its widest point
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:54:56 PM by steve w »
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

GREEN MAN

Re: apple bowl.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »
Hi Steve

Nice to see some of your work.  Why on earth do you feel embarrassed to put a lovely n/e bowl like that on here?

The finish on the surface looks great, which on a undulating surface of a n/e bowl isn't easy to achieve

My first attempts at natural edge work were only destined for the woodburner - certain people on here would say they still are  :)

So well done you and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Kind regards

David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:12 PM »
Steve,

we were all beginners once, some of us for longer than others. Please don't ever be worried about posting something, especially when you've made such a great job of it.

It's got a very good shape and it's well finished also you've kept the bark on which is not always easy.

Something that would only be noticed from experience is another cut or two deeper would have thinned the natural edge just a tiny bit more and kept it a constant thickness around the form. Having said that, it's so nearly there only a few would notice so don't worry about it.

A great piece, well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »
Thank you for the replies, and the encouragement , i had thought of going a bit thinner but didnt want to destroy it, i have quite a bit of this wood so will have another turn next week which i will thin more, the other problems i found was sanding the wings and ragging the end-grain when shaping.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »
Looks fine to me. Good going.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:38:51 PM »

Looking at the second photo Steve ... all I can see wrong is the thickness variation..... other wise a nice shape
     and a well finished bowl.
     Kind Regards
     Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »
Nice work Steve :)

This style of bowl is not the easiest but never let that stop you having ago and posting the results, from the comments we all learn a lot.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:16 AM »
Steve...when I started, a few years ago, I was posting pictures of work that was far cruder and simpler than your bowl....really don't worry about it, it's part of a learning curve and we're all here to help you to traverse that curve. As for making it thinner; you were right to stop when you did. Your instinct for keeping safe within your skill level is commendable. As your skills improve you will be able to get thinner and thinner - safely. For now, stick with what feels right for you.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
Thank you all so much for the replies - all appreciated, it was fun turning it  - just loaded the van up for a scotland trip so away for a few days from this evening, but as soon as i am back i will get another lump of wood on the lathe to see what i can do and see about booking half a days tuition. thanks again, steve

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »

Nicely turned Steve. Was this the piece with the problem of tear out you'd had, no evidence of it here. Looks well finished. And the picture notUrban Cottages Industries

Should times slow down, PM that we can arrange a date convenient that we'd get together.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »

Nicely turned Steve. Was this the piece with the problem of tear out you'd had, no evidence of it here. Looks well finished. And the picture notUrban Cottages Industries

Should times slow down, PM that we can arrange a date convenient that we'd get together.

Cheers  David

Thanks David, will look forward to it - it was the one with the tear out but i have a sorby scraping tool that i put a small cutter in and it seemed to cure it - the problem was when i was trying to use the gouge, - i would prefer not to use the scraper, steve

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »

Nicely turned Steve. Was this the piece with the problem of tear out you'd had, no evidence of it here. Looks well finished. And the picture is not a clear indicator of true wall thickness. (what should have read)

Cheers  David

Thanks David, will look forward to it - it was the one with the tear out but i have a sorby scraping tool that i put a small cutter in and it seemed to cure it - the problem was when i was trying to use the gouge, - i would prefer not to use the scraper, steve

Hi Steve,  Most will advocate not using a scraper, yet they work in getting us all out of a problem as mentioned.  Then we ..  ::) .. all have them in our kit, ideal in box making and finish cut on bowl of goblets.  A gouge can be presented as a shear scraper. 

Meeting depends on your business commitments, I'm flexible other than the wife's business plans ...  ;D ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''