Author Topic: Experimenting  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Experimenting
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »
Hi all

This piece is an experiment which is part way through. It is loosely inspired by sea urchins, more the texture than the form although this is similar too. The  purpose here was top try out different burrs and techniques using them as well as a few coloring techniques which again are to be added to, as with most things at the moment it is now sat on the shelf while I make other stuff. Lots more to do with it but I thought I would show it as I have not posted anything for a while.

It is sat on a piece of scrap wood which is not part of the piece.

C&C welcome

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Re: Experimenting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:28:03 AM »
Wow - that is really interesting - would love to see a vid on how you achived this - I love unique things

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
Seen in the flesh you have to pick it up to realise it is actually wood. Really is special.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Wow. You can definitely see the influence there. Really like it.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:18 AM »
... It is loosely inspired by sea urchins....
Loosely inspired it might be, but it screamed 'Sea urchin' at me, the moment I saw it. Really like the texture, but not the colour - and I'm clearly wrong about that because Sal loves purple, so I must be wrong!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
Hi All

Thank you,

There are some parts to date that I want to change, IE softening of the sharp edges around the circles, this will be achieved later as will the colour.

Les

Glad Sal likes the colour  :) :) :),  it is only intended at this stage to be the foundation/base colour onto which many other colours will be added later, Aubergine is one of my favorite colours Les, I am sure it will grow on you  :) :) :)

Thank you all again.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Wow - that is really interesting - would love to see a vid on how you achieved this - I love unique things

Thanks, this technique is used by many woodturners/carvers and can be used for scales and other effects, anything you want, it can be achieved either by 'Ukibori' which is the Ancient Japanese technique of indenting wood used by 'Netsuke' carvers and others. Once indented the wood is craved and made wet wit water expanding the wood fibers which then become pronounced above the surface after it is carved. Very simple and effective and it is shown here

The other method as used here is 'Cup' burrs which are used in a micro-motor/Dremel and simply pushed into the wood.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
Wow - that is really interesting - would love to see a vid on how you achieved this - I love unique things

Thanks, this technique is used by many woodturners/carvers and can be used for scales and other effects, anything you want, it can be achieved either by 'Ukibori' which is the Ancient Japanese technique of indenting wood used by 'Netsuke' carvers and others. Once indented the wood is craved and made wet wit water expanding the wood fibers which then become pronounced above the surface after it is carved. Very simple and effective and it is shown here

The other method as used here is 'Cup' burrs which are used in a micro-motor/Dremel and simply pushed into the wood.

Easy ..........when you know how LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »

Already a lovely piece Mark..... Looking forward to seeing the end result with your final touches.
   Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:34:11 PM »
That is absolutely superb, Mark. If that were mine I would leave it as it is now. Interested to learn how you achieved the 'bubble' like texture so evenly and geometrically. Brilliant again. Malcolm.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »
Smart I like that idea  :)

Ed

GREEN MAN

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
I think that looks fantastic Mark and very cleverly done.  I look forward to seeing that one when you have finished the colouring.

Kind regards

David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:48 PM »
I've yet to see a purple sea urchin, their dome shape is the other-way-up. As well as that it's a very strange thing to view, 3D Pointillism in a single colour, using different sized dots, and holes to create the image.

But yes I can see exactly what you are seeing, I hope this gets beyond an experiment, even if never to a salable piece, I'd love to see the final form in all it's colourful glory.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
Hi all

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

Malcy

Thank you

The texture was just achieved by drawing basic centre lines for the largest bubbles and then I just applied/produced them by hand using a micro-motor and burr, the rest are just filled in.

Tony and Di

Thank you, it may be a while while I think how to progress with it.

Bryan

thank you, the project here was not to make it look like a sea urchin, that would be too obvious and dare I say it too easy  :) :) I would just go out and buy one on my next visit to Poole  :) :) and spray it purple. The idea is to use the textures and urchin as a starting point/reference in one of my turned forms and then see where it ends up, never know it may end up in the chiminea, it would certainly burn well.  :) :)

The form is not that of an urchin, mind you it would correct in Australia  :) here are a few purple sea urchins of various types, but as said it is not the idea to copy the urchin.

Once I finish it I will certainly post it, warts and all  :) :)

Thank you all again. much appreciated.