Author Topic: Coast Redwood  (Read 9567 times)

Offline steve w

• bronze
Re: Coast Redwood
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 08:07:43 PM »
I think this is one of the problems i have George i think the tools could do with a good re-sharpen to the correct profile, then i just need to know how to use them  :)

why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »
Steve I know I go droning on about it but this is what I believe  TUITION TUITION TUITION.
When I started out with with woodturning I went to Don White for tuition and I told him I wanted to progress to be a professional woodturner and this is what he  said to me.
George I am going to save you 25 years and I said how are you going to do that Don and he said I am going to teach you not to make all the mistakes I have made in the last 25 years.
I had two two day courses with Don concentrating on nothing but basic turning , sharpening and profiling of tools .The rest is history.
If nothing else my tooling is very good and my tools are sharpened that you could almost shave with them and they are correctly profiled.

Regards George
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:56:12 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
i will take your advice George - thanks,
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 09:13:18 PM »
Steve make sure you choose a tutor that teaches what you want to learn I suggest profiling tools and sharpening and basic tooling
Once you have learned the way to look after and how to use the tools the rest is just practice.
Come here for a couple of days there is good value accommodation 400 yards away and my rates are reasonable.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything