Author Topic: Part finished  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Part finished
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »
Thank God this and George's current problem are not being discussed in the same thread.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »
Hello Mark,
               Well if you wished to create a lot of comments with this piece you certainly achieved your goal I looked at the date you posted this and no it was not the FIRST of the month so my instant reply was "Stop Ar---ng about" I will now have to wait until it is finished ;D ;D ???

Regards John
PS are you at Yandles next week?
John Smith

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »
Hi Dave

Thank you for your comments. This is intended to be a new series and one that has been in the back of my mind for some years now, if there are any negatives to turning full time it is that I have to make a lot of bread and butter work leaving little time for developing new pieces, this one is the start of this and will be developed into much larger sculptural pieces. Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Pete

Thank you, yes Pagan is one of the religions I am looking at for research but not limited to it. One of my main interested when I start thinking about developing a new piece is that I go away and read up on loads of stuff I know nothing about, so I learn a great deal of new information, this for me is the main fun of the task as I want a piece to mean something, have a depth whether the onlooker see's it or not is not my intention. Just the way I like to work.  :)

Tony & Di

Thank you

Will have to see where it goes as I have no further structured thoughts on how it will end up. The idea of the vessel and carving I had from the start but now it will hopefully develop as I do more research. It may of course end up in the chiminea.  :) Today I was talking to a friend who said that I will spend a lot of time working on something which I will not be able to sell for the amount/time taken. These sorts of pieces for me are not about the money but about the learning and idea development I can benefit from, in turn this hopefully spawns new pieces that I can then sell. Shouldn't have shown it really as it may turn out to be pants  :) :) :).

Graham

Thanks for your input, I think George seeing this is what gave him his problem, sort of a natural defense  :) :) :) :) :)

John   

Thank you for your commenting.

I hoped in posting this to get me and others to think about what we do in turning. For this reason I enjoy the humorous and serious comments as it means people are thinking about this piece and in turn thinking about turning. I am sure there are those that have not commented that think this is vulgar and a waste of time, this too if it is the case is good.  :) :)

Yes I am at Yandles with Crown so do come and say hello and if I am busy please interrupt me as any time of day is good for a tea break. The Kettle will be on.

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
Mark,
I will be at Yandles on one of the days and would really like to see the piece 'in the flesh' so to speak, if you have room in your car, please bring it with you.
Cheers.
Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

GREEN MAN

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 01:28:29 AM »
Hi Mark I am afraid this form does nothing for me but it certainly has divided opinion.

I showed this photo to my wife and she said that she found the form very pleasing to the eye and would love to get hold of a piece like that.  Suddenly she is raging on about Mark Sanger to all her friends and wants to know more about the man and where he finds his inspiration!  This is all very strange as she has paid very little interest in my woodturning hobby to date.

On a more constructive and critical point of view, I feel this form is too upright and erect and that a shorter squatter version would be more suitable.  The upper curve would look better if it were more rounded - more like the end of a bell (if you know what I mean).

I hope this reply is taken in the lighthearted way that it is intended. This forum seems to have gotten very uptight and serious lately, which has driven me to join and write this reply.

We all know Mark is a great turner and I am sure he didn't post this form to make anyone feel inadequate about their own shortcomings.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
Mark,
I will be at Yandles on one of the days and would really like to see the piece 'in the flesh' so to speak, if you have room in your car, please bring it with you.
Cheers.
Dave

Hi Dave

I will have room and will bring it although I do not think I will have done much more to it.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 11:25:27 AM »
Hi Mark I am afraid this form does nothing for me but it certainly has divided opinion.

I showed this photo to my wife and she said that she found the form very pleasing to the eye and would love to get hold of a piece like that.  Suddenly she is raging on about Mark Sanger to all her friends and wants to know more about the man and where he finds his inspiration!  This is all very strange as she has paid very little interest in my woodturning hobby to date.

On a more constructive and critical point of view, I feel this form is too upright and erect and that a shorter squatter version would be more suitable.  The upper curve would look better if it were more rounded - more like the end of a bell (if you know what I mean).

I hope this reply is taken in the lighthearted way that it is intended. This forum seems to have gotten very uptight and serious lately, which has driven me to join and write this reply.

We all know Mark is a great turner and I am sure he didn't post this form to make anyone feel inadequate about their own shortcomings.

Wow

:) You indicate the form does little for you, but you stayed up rather late before you posted your first post  :) :)

Glad it got you interested in joining the forum, so not a total flop. Certainly taken in the lighthearted way :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:04:25 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 12:58:15 AM »

Good to see it on Saturday, the slate base and shell gave it a whole new impact, defused it maybe, gave a different slant. Will watch as to which way you take it with the legs.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »
Thanks Dave

I think it will be a while before it is finished but it will be a fun process.