Author Topic: Part finished  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Part finished
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »
Hi all

This is a new series I have been meaning to start for ages. It is not finished as yet but a couple of pics so far. Scorched oak with Sisal twine a base and few more additions to be added.

Second pic not good

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Part finished
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
You don't want to know what I think. :D :D :D :D :D
Just don't assk

Regards George
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:11:13 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I'm with you George !!!!

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »
Wonder if you two see what I see LOL. No doubt it will look very different when finished. Looking forward to it.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »
You don't want to know what I think. :D :D :D :D :D
Just don't assk

Regards George

Well that is why I posted it to get your thoughts, not that I would take much notice of them.  :) :)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Mark, really, make sure you don't display it upside down!!!!
Sorry I like your work a lot but this does nothing for me.

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Is it a pen (is) pot?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57:23 PM »
Its a cock up  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Mark,

I'll try be serious.

I see the Earth Mother, not sure how else to describe her or what she might also be known as, but prehistoric man carved figures of corpulent women, many have been found in digs No one's sure of course but she's believed to represent 'Plenty. And that's what I see in the lower section of this.

The use of string (sisal) we've seen you do in Woodturning I find an interesting concept, although the use of such a fibrous twine would 'jar' against a smooth wood, I can see it's the obvious choice on scorched wood.

I'll ask one question, have you thought about dying the Sisal, something bright to sit in counterpoise against the darkness of the scorched wood.

The Earth Mother pot it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 06:47:26 AM »
It really is that time of year, isn't it?
As for what it's going to look like when it's finished.....well that's a real cheek clencher!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »
Mark to me this piece looks a bit like tribal art. I actually quite like it, a contrast of colours and textures. I would be interested to know what shape the inside is? especially at the bottom (absolutely no pun intended here) and if it is left thicker so that there is a chance it may subsequently split this could perhaps enhance the piece even more?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi all

Thank you very much for your comments they are appreciated. It is interesting how such a shaped piece of wood gets the varying responses that it does, I am very pleased that you all have been honest and even had a chuckle as it keeps it all relaxed and light hearted something on occasions that is needed in life without being all serious  :).  

I hope the comments keep coming and please be honest with your thoughts, this for me is very important to get us thinking even if what we see is challenging and outside of what we like or feel comfortable with.

Andy  :)

No it is not a Pen pot but it is a pot for something which will be included later on.

George  :)

were you standing on your head when you looked at it.  :)

Steve

Thanks for your honesty, my mother thinks it is vile, my good lady says it is not one of my finer pieces :) and my daughter thinks it is cool and say's to them, 'it is art' and rolls here eyes at them both.

It has certainly divided opinions here too.

Bryan

Thank you the Phalic and Yonic is a subject matter I have been wanting to study for some time, not because of the literal sense as we all do that some time or another  :) but from the perspective of meaning in particularly tribal symbols tied in with what you have raised 'Earth mother'/ 'Mother Nature', life, regeneration and the meaning of this and how it has been represented through various religions, tribes, cultures etc.

There will be some colour added to this at a later stage but the use of the scorching and sisal was to give it a natural foundation/appearance to add to.

Les

It certainly is that time of year.  :) hopefully I can finish this one in the next couple of weeks, I have a lot of other work to get done before.

John

Spot on, or at least that primitive feel is what I was after, it is one of three main parts of the piece.

Thank you all again and keep your thoughts coming.    
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:47:30 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
Mark,
I agree with BHT with regards to the Tribal Art look, I like it a lot, quite a departure from 'bright and shiny'.
Will this be part of a series?  If so the other shapes will be interesting.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
I have had a few commissions lately from a pyrographer who does things for the pagan set. Spiral goddesses were the latest ones which may or may not fit where your thoughts are going Mark?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »

Mark ... When first viewed we did think African Tribal, while also taking into account many ancient civilizations , Mayan
               Tuscan, Greek.  We definitely think it is well worth pursuing and are sure you will transform this piece with your
               usual finesse into a unique form.
               Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/