Author Topic: Rules for a beautiful vase  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Rules for a beautiful vase
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 08:21:44 AM »
Not being naturally artistic, and have spent many years as a mechanical engineer I have always been fascinated by the mathematical rules in nature and recently found a book called 'Why do Buses Come in Threes'. Its a very thought provoking book and causes you to look in detail at things generally taken for granted.

Dave

Thanks for your comments Dave, I will invest in that book.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: indeed in Modigliani's painting there is phi and fibonacci
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
Indeed at least in some paintings of Modi' it is possible to fing both the Fibonacci series and the golden Ratio. As known the Fibonacci series tend to reach the golden ratio which is an infinite number like the fibonacci series.
Of course we do not know if that was intentional. I suspect it was not and the phi was found because the painting proportions are so beautiful that "must" fit the Phi.
http://www.secretmodigliani.com/how.html

Thanks Sevilla I have printed this off and will read it and add it to my files for the future.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »
The rule of thumb guides I use when designing my work seem to work for me be it thirds or 60/40 split

Mark thank you for the links I'll be doing some reading to get a better understanding.

I think that I also run some test piece's to see the feedback over the coming months.

Rock and Roll will never die in my work shop  :) Long Live Rock

Ed

Rock and Roll will never die in my workshop either and I don't think it should,  :) if we just discount things that challenge the way we think then we can not hope to progress, personally I try never to believe in what I am told and as such spend much time immersed in books and practical experiments, (my chiminea is well stocked for the summer evenings).   :)

Without making a right hash of things from time to time and keeping it safe I personally do not believe I can do anything but stagnate in my work, it is what keeps me excited as I know I will never stop learning.

Glad the links are of use, happy turning.  :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
Have to agree with you there Mark. My tag line (Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities) comes from something my grandmother used to tell me, "the man who doesn't make a mistake doesn't do anything" Nine times out of ten if |I don't like something it is because it isn't to my personal taste rather than it is genuinely bad. Some of the more primitive carvings, wood turning etc have evidence of tool marks, features that we would condemn nowadays and yet they still retain a beauty and a sense of craftsmanship and / or artistic ability. Musically I love the music of the 60's, not because it is good music so much as the nostalgic aspect. I like heavy rock but rarely listen to it nowadays. Same with a lot of classical music. That phrase we used to use 'not my scene' comes to mind. Or as George puts it sometimes. 'Does nothing for me' LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities