Author Topic: Ugly duckling  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Ugly duckling
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »
I wanted a couple of small bowls to send to a local shop, so picked a sawn-off piece of weathered old oak that had chain saw marks on its end grain and a bit of punky sapwood in it. Then I turned a tulip-bowl out of it and looked at it in a whole new light.....this one's gonna be in my shop, not in anyone elses. Too darned pretty a piece of wood to let someone else make money out of it.

C&C always welcome (whatever that means, George!)....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Ugly duckling
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
Hi Les I think this is a beautiful bowl but for me the foot should either be wider or so thin it is almost invisible.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 06:23:43 AM »
Hi Les I think this is a beautiful bowl but for me the foot should either be wider or so thin it is almost invisible.

Regards George
Thanks, George....I struggled with the foot on this one! I had started with a 2" tenon in my chuck, so there was a good sized foot on it, but I decided that it was much too big and kept cutting slice after slice off it. I got down to this size, which I liked, but think that I can see what you mean about making it very thin. Is the thinking behind this, that to have a foot this small, and then give it too much height, makes the foot look awkward - so better to cut it really short and let it just hold the bowl above the surface that it is sat on?
I might try drilling a hole a bit bigger than the diameter of the foot, in a board , to about 80% of the depth of the foot, then see what it looks like when the bowl sits in the hole and most of the foot is obscured.
Les

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »
I have to agree. A beautiful bowl but the foot doesn't look right. I think  it would be better without one at all.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »

not going to mention the foot les :) :)..... Its a very appealing little bowl
     Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
Hi Les

I think it is very difficult to get a foot that suits everything and it is probably down to personal taste.
Some turners make a feature of the foot but I make mine almost so thin you cannot see it but it gives the piece a bit of lift.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 11:28:14 AM »
For me the foot should lift a piece enough to see the flow at the bottom but not be really visible. Either that or become a major feature in it's own right. It is really personal taste though an like all 'rules' is there to be broken. In this case I agree it should be removed or at least made a lot thinner as it just looks like a tenon but thee will be those that like it and it doesn't negate the beauty of the overall piece as such.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »
A lovely bowl, loads of interest with the grain and a beautiful simple shape.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
Les,

sorry to be so long commenting on this piece, truly I cannot make up my mind.

Everything about it is right but I can't get it to settle comfortably in my eye - and I don't know why.

The nearest I can get is the scale, I can't see how big it is and you don't say, so although it is a perfectly curved shape, with a sympathetic finish, it looks like it's no bigger than 4" diameter. Size is not an issue but at that size it looks to have a slightly heavy look to it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:08:30 PM »
... I can't see how big it is and you don't say, so although it is a perfectly curved shape, with a sympathetic finish, it looks like it's no bigger than 4" diameter. Size is not an issue but at that size it looks to have a slightly heavy look to it.

It's 6" diameter, Bryan

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
very nice bowl,good shape and nice foot
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
Hi Les,
        I am with George on this one in as much as I think it would look better if the foot was removed. Otherwise a very nice piece.