Author Topic: Two wings better than one.....  (Read 2160 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Two wings better than one.....
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
Latest piece.....getting happier with the finishing but still some issues.  Originally planned to turn this none with a smaller bowl part at the rounded end but it wouldn't fit on my lathe so had to do it centrally....like how it came out though.  Happier with the bottom, would prefer a small foot to just lift it slightly but don't currently have the equipment to do that (I use a jamb chuck to turn the foot off and then a fret saw to finish the job followed by sanding.  The very annoying tail-stock gets in the way too much to allow any finessing of the foot that way.  I have managed it on smaller round bowls where I can use the expanding jaws to hold them without a tailstock, but really need better bowl-reversing gear).

All comments and crits very welcome and encouraged.

Ah, noticed it's usual to give size.....10" x 2"....finished with sanding sealer and waxed.    ......and the wood....elm?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:07:29 PM by ChrisF »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Two wings better than one.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
Chris,

The grain structure on the rounded end is fascinating, well knotted and patterned, and well done for having the courage to leave the knot and crack in the opposite end, certainly something I'd not have done at your stage of the woodturning journey.

A couple of points, and remembering your learning these are constructive thoughts, to be practiced carefully until you are able to achieve them.

1. The thickness of the rim needs to be even, not easy to achieve when the wood is propelling around, which can be fairly disconcerting.

2. Define the changes in curves. By that I mean the raised lip around the bowl. It needs a defining cut between the top of the flat face and the rise of the rim. Without it it looks a little bland. Look at some old turned chair legs, there is always a fillet between the beads and coves to define the next shape.

Lastly all your posts are of this wing form, It looks like you've already found your signature piece, just needs a little refining.

Thanks for posting.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Thanks Bryan, it is a lovely piece of wood isn't it.  The thing about courage is you don't always know you need it till someone points it out !

1. The thickness of the rim needs to be even

Yes.....tricky.  It's those damnable corners that get me....always seem to need to shave just a little more and they end up slightly curled.

2. Define the changes in curves.

I see what you're saying.  I quite deliberately didn't on this one, and whilst I quite like the effect I appreciate that it would be stronger if the edge was better defined.

Lastly all your posts are of this wing form

Oh no they're not..... ;D

http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,2974.0.html

though I am really enjoying the wings.  It's partly the bits of wood that I have around at the moment.  I have however just cut some bits to roundish so some different shapes may appear soon.  Also worth mentioning you only see the better results.......there's a pile of (mainly non-wing) stove-food in the corner over there.....

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
It's those damnable corners that get me....always seem to need to shave just a little more and they end up slightly curled.

Yep, been there suffered that.

I quite deliberately didn't on this one,

If it was a conscious decision then it’s right, my comment was driven from the beginners perspective of letting the tool guide the design, not the turner.

Lastly all your posts are of this wing form

Oh no they're not..... ;D

though I am really enjoying the wings.  It's partly the bits of wood that I have around at the moment.  I have however just cut some bits to roundish so some different shapes may appear soon. 

Sorry, to refresh my memory I just looked back at the current gallery page.

Also worth mentioning you only see the better results.......there's a pile of (mainly non-wing) stove-food in the corner over there.....

Oh, haven’t we all!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!