Author Topic: sycamore bowl with lid  (Read 7818 times)

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
sycamore bowl with lid
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:58 AM »
enjoyed turning this bowl, any c&c welcome

Phil

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: sycamore bowl with lid
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
Sort of half way between a hollow form and a bowl, lovely looking piece whatever you choose to cal it. Beautiful wood and well used.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
I would have liked it better if the lid had continued with the line of the base and the top looks tilted.
The break in the flow spoils it for me.
The finish looks amazing.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
thank you both Pete and George.
George you are right about the lid it has dried out a little and warped so the fit is not ideal. i Kept the lid inside for a few days whilst pondering what/how to do a top for the lid so wont do that again.

Phil

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:22:22 AM »
I don't do these sort of box's so my experience is limited but Mark Sager does a lot of them and I know he roughs them out and takes them into the house prior to finishing.

Regards George

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 02:36:15 PM »
Again your right George, good idea of Mark's,and I had read that too but it was after the deed was done.
Never mind still happy with the result

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
Mark will do 20 or 30 at a time and put them aside  you need to have Patience and think well ahead.
I am surprised you say you are happy with the result when you know there are faults.

Regards George

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
Understand George but In my experience talking and reading from others, turners often are not entirely 100% happy with their result and want to improve. I am happy that at my stage of progression with turning I can produce something as good as this to give as a gift to family or friend. It's a piece that I cut myself from a local tree and that gives me a bit more pleasure than simply picking up a blank of the shelf.

In time I hope that I will do even better but that requires practice and if I am not happy with something then onto the log burner it can go.

Phil

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
The trouble is when you give something to a family member that you know is not perfect one day when you can make things perfect you will look at that and wish you had not given it away.
For the time you have been turning it is a very good effort but why don't you make another one that is perfect and give it to a family member it is only a bit of wood and a bit of time and you now know how to get over the drying problem.
Have patience you will be glad you did eventually.

Regards George

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »
Hello Phil

I have to agree with all that has been said.  I think you have done a great job but George is dead right - a few months down the line when you have got better you will wish you'd make another.  I gave away a couple of candlesticks once and frankly it makes me cringe when I think of it now. 

Cheers Dave

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »
Oh dear. Its a bu@@er been you agree with both points of view.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
So what do you do with imperfect items in my position, take up space in workshop/ burn or what- friends and family seem to appreciate  something home made and hint that more are welcome, so I am encouraged?

Using a parallel example, I make my own jam marmalade and some pickles, far better than lots available to me but I don't regard them as perfect but I have lots of requests for them as a favour. I am not putting anybody put of business but if I go to stay at least I have something decent for breakfast.

I will be happy to look back on my gifts of Woodturning too and see how I have progressed, I follow the argument but don't agree.

What do others think?

Regards

Phil

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »
We all make things that we are not happy with for one reason or another. If the reason is purely a matter of taste then it is worth having another think as we all have different views on that but if it is a matter of a fault then we would be foolish not to pay attention. I have a couple of pieces that have obvious faults that I hang on to for comparison or as examples in demos of how not to do something but I wouldn't give them away or try and sell them. Something such as this bowl, my inclination would be to perhaps redo the lid if the bowl itself is OK but bottom line if you give or sell it it gives others the impression that you are happy with 2nd best, something I hope you wouldn't be. if I get a negative critique then I would at least take a 2nd look at the piece in question and, if I agree as you obviously do either fix, chuck or keep as an example.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »
So what do you do with imperfect items in my position, take up space in workshop/ burn or what- friends and family seem to appreciate  something home made and hint that more are welcome, so I am encouraged?
I will be happy to look back on my gifts of Woodturning too and see how I have progressed, I follow the argument but don't agree.

What do others think?

Regards

Phil

You put a piece up for critique knowing that there are faults with it, in my opinion when you put it up you should have said there are faults with it how do you suggest I get over them.
You then say I follow the argument but don't agree that is fine but if it was me and I received advise from more experienced turners and I did not agree I would say nothing but think very hard about it.
You ask what others think which I find a bit odd what do expect them to think.
You have been given constructive critique and advise whether you take it is up to you.
As for imperfect things and what to do with them it depends were you want to go with your turning but it sounds to me like you are happy turning out imperfect things so maybe you should give them away but if you want to go on to be a good turner dump them move on and listen to advise.

Regards George

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
No George, I do take on board what you said and again thank you for your advice but also wished to hear from others, which may or may not be of the same opinion as yourself, as it is a forum.