Author Topic: AWGB Courses  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
AWGB Courses
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
In previous threads, the benefits of clubs being in affiliated to the AWGB have been discussed, the most recently being the "Woodturning Clubs" thread. One of the benefits is access to training courses.

Last weekend, three other club members and I were fortunate enough to be able to attend an AWGB Demonstrator training course here in Cornwall so no significant travelling required by us. I can recommend this training course for anybody who is thinking of doing demonstrations to fellow club members or improve their performance if they already have some experience at demonstrating.

I am not a complete beginner at demonstrating as I have already done six over the past few years having learned the basics of teaching in the Air Force over thirty years ago. All were project based demos on subjects that I felt very comfortable with and I thoroughly enjoyed preparing for and doing them. Looking forward now to putting what I learned at the weekend into practice.

In the same thread, Ron of Bury asked about a list of successful trainees. I wouldn't bother pursuing this Ron. I expect most trainees are like me in that they have no ambition to take their demonstration skills on the road. Personally, I do not have the skills in woodturning or demonstrating to do this even if I had the desire. Until a few years ago, almost all the demonstrations in one of my clubs were carried out by one man. Apart from the enjoyment I get, demonstrating to my fellow club members relieves the pressure on that individual and gives members a bit of variety.

Thanks AWGB. Keep up the good work.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: AWGB Courses
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
In July I am going on a day spindle training course in Cymbran with Gary Rance payed for by the AWGB all that is asked for is a donation to their training scheme.
That is something to look forward to.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »
I will see you there George  :)
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
Are you on the course Julian?

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
No George but because it's our club venue I will be making sure that Gary has everything he needs and taking a few pictures (me and another). You should have a good time, Gary was at the club for a Demo day a while ago and was really good with lots of hints and tips.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
Julian,

You'll see me there as well. Looking forward to it already.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!