Author Topic: Who would you like tuition with.  (Read 3078 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Who would you like tuition with.
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:59:06 PM »
Hi All .

If you had the opportunity to have a weeks tuition with any two turners who would they be .
Mine are Burt Marsh and Richard Raffan both of these turners for their pure simple forms something I lack in.
Only two and please give your reasons.
Please do not comment on other members choices or their reasons for them

Regards George
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:14:17 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Re: Who would you like tuition with.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
Mine would be Stuart Mortimer, I have seen him once and his spiral work is fantastic and I have almost no experience in spiral work. Secondly I would love to have the chance of one more week with my Grandfather Alf Jones as I miss him terribly. 

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
Probably Douglas Fisher as I find his decorative work fascinating and would love to spend a week with him learning how he gets his ideas and brings them to fruition. 2nd one would probably be Mark as I am very aware that his oriental inspired work is along the same lines as mine in ideas but way ahead of me in skill and practice.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
My first natural edge bowl was likened to the work of Bert Marsh, so I looked him up and was amazed at the clean simplicity of much of his work - thus he scores very highly in such a list. My second choice, by way of something very different, would be a toss-up between Pascal Oudet and Benoit Averly, they each have a distinct personal style in directions that I'm interested in pursuing - but I'd probably plumb for Pascal Oudet.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »
Mine would be Tom Pockley and Stuart Mortimer

I've already spent time with both these people and both bring different ways of turning.

Tom is an unassuming man whose skills with turning tools is up there with the best, I've learnt my tool control with Tom and once you have a understanding of how to use the tools properly then it's up to you where you take it.

Stuart well known for his spiral work and that's why I went to him. But I soon found why he's rated so highly. His thinking behind his turning is so deep, there is no book where this man is concerned he's an engineer that will over come anything in the workshop. Also his control and use of a skew is something else. His eye for detail in finish is something that most woodturners could benefit from.

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
I chose two already but that was on another thread so being greedy I now choose two more. Dale Nish who was years ahead of his time and possibly one who revived the craft from its flagging past and Art Liestman whose work I admire. (Two is not enough for me) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »
I have spent several hours thinking about this ( yep, I really am that sad. ) The first one has to be Cindy Drozda for the beautiful classic shapes and fine finials she keeps coming up with. If i had to concentrate on just one aspect of turning this would be it.

but I am stuck for the second one. So many to choose from.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:22 PM »
I think my two would be Gabor Lacko and Patricia Spero as one (they colaborate on a lot of work) and Stuart Mortimer all three of these are world class turners in my opinion and could give so much good advice on techniques and finishing.cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
Bert Marsh, his ability to see and produce those wafer thin beautiful curves was amazing.

Cindy Drozda, her wonderful boxes and forms, some coloured, many not, finished with her ultra-fine finials and use of hidden gemstones.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
David Elsworth would be my first choice  as much to learn about the person, his processes , ideas and inspiration as much as the turning itself . Robert Chapman would be my second choice to thank him for his excellent book which helped me progress a lot with my turning .... Terry

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
I'd go for Alain Mailland - would love to learn how to work those fantastic shapes he makes.

The other one would be Keith Holt - probably  a new name to everyone over here but he makes some fantastic multi-centred, multi-axis pieces. he's also a nice guy.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge