Author Topic: Coloring wood  (Read 10677 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: Coloring wood
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
I suppose if you compare it to the art world ( painting ) then there are the likes of Rembrandt and Constable ... but .. there is also Andy Warhol  and David Hockney  that produce work that is equally valued by buyers , so although not to my own liking they add to the art world .   I have not seen much in the way of coloured woodwork in the fine furniture world   And yes I suppose  scorching is colouring  and they sell OK !   ..Terry..

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
Terry then touches on the concept of 'Art' which is something I have had something of an internal struggle with since being a child. My Great Grandfather was an artist and painted, mostly watercolours of countryside scenery, cathederals and city scapes of Leicester. I grew up in a house full of these paintings and to us, that was art. Even to the art establishment though, my Great Grandfather wasn't really accepted because his paintings were too photographic, ie, they looked like what they were supposed to. This clearly had an influence on my concept of art. I have since learned more about art and have a much better understanding now, but I can't help think that this early influence has guided me to a slightly more traditional or simplistic version of art.

Even now, with what I consider a much more rounded idea of what makes 'art', I find that a lot of the art pieces do little for me, and as for some of the high brow concepts that come with them, well....

Coming from a long line of woodworkers, joiners and furniture makers, give me a fine piece of furniture any day! Liekwise I think this has had an influence on me because this is where my main interest in turning lays, not in the art, but in the furniture side of things. I guess that's why I'm a production turner and not an artist!

Just food for thought

Richard

See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
I go along with Mark - I like it all. 

I like the use of colour, using different woods as inserts in a box lid for example.

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned it looked like plastic.  I had a threaded box made from African Blackwood highly polished and someone asked if it was made from plastic!

I am still experimenting with colour and think less is often more but....  for me the most important thing is the fun and enjoyment I get from playing with it.  And if it's horrid I put it in the fire!

Cheers Dave

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
My general inclination is towards natural wood and colouring it seems superfluous to the point of absurdity.

I THINK COLOURING WOOD IS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

But then I keep seeing bits here that I really like, so what do I know ??
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »
Don't beat about the bush Graham come straight out with what you mean!! :D :D :D

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
Clearly three wrongs make a right!!!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »
I've been thinking about this question, as I do.

There is a divide of coloured timber, the Yes's & the No's. But the question I asked myself is where you you put the divide for coloured timber.

You fume Oak, Ash, Walnut, Black locust and other tannic woods with Ammonia to darkens it. Rub them with a vinegar/rust mix and they go glossy black.

Some of us have shown pieces of bleached timber with hydrogen peroxide, which lightens the wood.

People who do marquetry dip their veneers in hot sand to cause darker areas, Tonbridgeware is all coloured timbers and another Scottish type of work (sorry I can't remember the name) is similar.

Cabinet makers used woods of all colours (admittedly natural colours) to add stringing or other designs to their work. They also used a wide variety to chemicals to create false timber effects (make one timber look like another). Go down the DiY shed (or your own workshop) to look at the different wood colour stains available.

So is the use of modern dyes so much different to what those that have gone before us have done, and would probably have done if they had had them available.

Yes, sometimes a piece of timber has such wonderful figure or colour it would be a crime to hide or change it...

...but adding just enough colour to pop the grain or stronger colours to a piece of bland sycamore, field maple and other plain uninteresting timbers, to make them something more, make them interesting, eye-catching, and a decorative piece. It's just another technique to learn, one that has been used to great effect for many years. One that has it's place, at the right time.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
The Scottish use of coloured woods in boxes etc is, I think, clawed Mochlyn ware. (I may have spelt that wrongly). There are lots of coloured woods like Purple Heart, yellow heart, ebony. If you don't like colours would you not use these either. The world is full of colour, so why not use it for adorning your creations? Malcolm.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 09:13:06 PM »
I do not have any problem using different types of wood to provide colour in a turning. It can look stunning but that is using NATURAL woods to compliment each other.

I never said I was consistant. :) :) :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline KimG

• iron
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »
I do a fair bit of coloured work as some here have seen elsewhere, I find it has great appeal with the general public who seem to really like it, one comment I got from two women at the recent event at the NBG in South Wales "most turning is all the same, but yours is really different" , I noticed she didn't actually buy anything though! :D

I'm sure some of my pieces have resembled Richard's "paint shop accidents" using multiple colours is a challenging art form not easy to get dead right, but when it is right it can look stunning. The primary key to having coloured work look exceptional though, as with most other work, is a first class finish, for colour this really need to be a high gloss finish at it has the same effect as polishing a stone, all the fine details and depth of colour are not truly revealed until that highly polished surface is complete.

andersonec

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 06:37:32 PM »
Whether me as an individual likes it or not does not matter, the age old adage states "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" Which means there will always be someone out there who will love it, think of all the modernistic, twenty-first century homes out there which will house this type of item most readily, it also extends a turners expertise and keeps the his interest alive if things start to get boring. As to what sells? the answer has to be 'quality' every time so if it done well it will sell. Personally I like it if it is done well.

Andy

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »
i was thinking today - if you get some fresh cut wood and stand it in watery colouring would it draw the colour into it?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:22:17 PM by steve w »
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
i was thinking today - if you get some fresh cut wood and stand it in watery colouring would it draw the colour into it?

Don't know anyone that's tried that - time for an experiment.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »

Don't know anyone that's tried that - time for an experiment.

i was thinking if cut green the Capillary action might still draw the colour up and create an interesting patern in the wood. maybe fabric colouring might work. - might have a play myself when i am not working away.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »
I colour wood sometimes just to wind up certain people,that I know don`t like it,only use blandly coloured wood though,not the good stuff.
welcome to my woodturning world