Author Topic: string holder with cut off  (Read 1914 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
string holder with cut off
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »
I am intending to make some string holders, just a basic design but I want to incorporate a string cutter (and do not want to include a pair of scissors) I have seen the designs with the cutters let in somehow, I like one that looked like a chess piece knight with the cutter in the slot. I need some ideas please of how to let the cutter in and how to secure it nicely.
Many thanks

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: string holder with cut off
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »
I have done it in the past and it seems to work using a cut stanley knife blade.   It has been some time since I made one but I think I cut the blade using tin snips but I am not sure.   I then put an edge on the wrong side of the cut piece of blade to make it easier to push in.   

I then cut the slot in the top of the stand and with a thin chisel, I think I used a small thin skew, start the slot for the blade.   I then pushed the blade into place using small needle point pliers and secured each side with a small amount of epoxy.

We have one as do my mother and sister and they are several years old and seem to still work.

john

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »
John Many thanks for that.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Had further thoughts about it and a look in my shop note book.

The blades I used were the snap off type in craft knives not the stanley blades.

john