Author Topic: Woodturning Clubs  (Read 9050 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Woodturning Clubs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
I think we are all preaching to the converted.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
Reading back through this thread I notice we/I especially, did not answer ED's question. Ed I am not sure where you are in the country but contact your regional rep (it could be me) and he will find the nearest club to you or your student.

Yet another service offered FOC.by the AWGB or all encompassing membership fee  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 08:29:28 PM »
Before I make the following comment I want to make it clear that although not a club member (yet) I AM A MEMBER OF AWGB AND AM HAPPY TO PAY THE DUES

The discussion so far has been about CLUB MEMBERS, some of whom are said to think the AWGB is a waste of time and money.
The comments have all been about how CLUBS benefit from membership. It is easy to say that if a 'club' benefits then by definition a 'member' benefits but not everyone sees it this way. Some people say 'What is in it for me ? I can get club membership, hands on evenings and demo nights without spending money on AWGB membership.

To take this one step further.... there are some clubs ( perhaps a lot of clubs ) that are neither affiliated or associated.  Maybe that is because the 'committee' feel the same way.

The Devils Advocate  rests his case and hides behind the sofa
Regards
Graham

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
Graham,
            It was not my intention to preach to the converted I was trying to inform those who are not members of the AWGB or members of Clubs the benefits, no one forces anyone to join either of these organizations remember this forum is open to all and if we attract a few members by our discussions all the better.The things that bugs me is the apathy of people there are 659 members of this forum how many actually take an active part it is the same with clubs.

NOW IT IS MY TURN TO HIDE BEHIND THE SOFA :D :D                 Regards John       
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 08:52:40 AM »
Graham, you can get, club membership, demos and hands on evenings at any club whether members of the AWGB or not,we all know that, but what you cannot get is the opportunity to do a course of training with a well known and experienced turner totally free of charge. So simply by being a member of the AWGB your opportunities increase, couple to that the fact that as an association we hold youth training events thereby ensuring that a generation younger than ourselves have the opportunity to learn how to turn in a safe and controlled manner and once again all for free. This must be a good thing but could not happen if we did not have members.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
I am a bit reluctant to mention this but I think it needs saying, as I have come across this situation in my area.

Some turners looking for a club to join, DO consider the cost of joining an AWGB club too expensive (their opinion, not mine) and have found other 'clubs' charging very low fees. I discovered these fees were so low because the club did not have ANY insurance, all they had to pay for was the hire of the meeting place. So the point I am making is, please check what is on offer from any club you are considering joining. We all hope that we don't have to USE our insurance, but bear in mind the consequences if you DO have a claim against you.

And an excellent insurance policy is only one of the benefits to AWGB members.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
Well this question seems to gone off track all I was asking was what clubs are out there for people to join knowing that there are more clubs than listed on the AWGB club list.

Surely it's up to then woodturner if he or she want to join the AWGB, an AWGB club or the cheapest club around. I'm happy to be a member of the AWGB and of a club that is well run and nothing to do with the AWGB in any way.

So a club does not have to be on the AWGB site to be good.

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:55 PM »
Indeed. Nor does it have to be on the list to attract good demonstrators.
Regards
Graham

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
Clubs do not attract demonstrators Graham.
Clubs approach demonstrators and book them they can afford or the demonstrators that demonstrates something the members want to see.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 08:28:53 AM »
Yes, bad choice of words. It doesn't need to be on the list to get good demonstrators.
Regards
Graham

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
You are right Graham the only thing I would say is by being involved with the AWGB or RPT you do get to know which are good demonstrators.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »
Just so, or at least you need access to their  ( this ) forum to see who people talk about.  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 07:37:36 PM »
I doubt if we would have survived the first year with out the insurance and grant from the AWGB, with just ten members we needed the support from the AWGB and Brian Partridge. We now have forty plus members joining the AWGB each year, and so far I have not had a complaint about the fee's. It can be time consuming collecting them all, and Paul Hannaby is very patient with my errors, but in the end it is worth it.

One point though, we hear a lot about the training scheme for new demonstrators, so how do we find out who the successful trainees were? I would love to book them for our club, it would help both the trainees and the club if we were to give them some early bookings
Ron

Ollie

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 07:56:11 PM »
I have only recently started wood turning and I am (respectfully) a lot younger than the average wood turner. I joined the AWGB after  a course with Andrew Hall and went along to my local club. At the club they were discussing leaving the association because they 'don't do anything for us'. However, someone spoke up and talked about the things they do to encourage young people to get involved etc. All this is clearly good but even going to the club and speaking to other turners has been a benefit to me. I am happy to support it and it is not expensive.