Author Topic: whats your lightest bowl  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: whats your lightest bowl
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »
Not able to say the lightest bowl I have turned, like Paul I have managed to turn a thin bowl to .5 mm - .75 thick  x 100 dia x 100mm deep or there about's as pictured turned from part seasoned maple.

I have now however refined my gouge technique to the level where they get so thin they disappear from sight  :D :D. Mine bounced when dropped without breaking but other thin bowls I have turned have just shattered. The only reason I turn them this thin is not from a commercial point of view but to practice tooling technique. If a technique is a bit off then the bowls will just shatter so it is a great way of continually refining. I do it with pretty much all the tools I have, I will turn 100 beads and coves or turn small spheres with a spindle gouge and skew, just like a golfer would practice before going to play a match. Practice makes perfect or so they say, if only.  :) :) :)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
excellent job mark, glad to see someone else thinks it's good to challenge themselves rather than ask "what's the point?" or "why bother". like you i like to refine my skills occasionally.

love the colour...

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 11:54:07 PM »
with any luck there should be a picture here.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:41 PM »
still a bit big, lets try again.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
my word that's thin...

i want to get one so thin you can see light through it...

It would be interesting to see a picture of this bowl.
I have searched the Gallery for 50 pages and cannot see any of your work

there you go george, i finaly worked out how to resize a photo (again, i'll forget before i do it again).

as you seem to wish to see more of my work here is whats on the dining room table most in the process of being fnished.

you can see on the last photo two large platters and for scale i placed the 5" 25g bowl on top.