Author Topic: turning your balls...  (Read 9790 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: turning your balls...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
they are a bit of a tiddly size aren't they. don't forget his alley are for weddings and parties so kids need to be catered for...

most i produce are 5" but if i can get hold of the stock i will make up to 6".

i've never been asked to make larger ones but do know of larger sizes being used. up to 7" i believe.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »
does nobody own or made their own jig then.

am i the only turner on here to have one???

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »
does nobody own or made their own jig then.

am i the only turner on here to have one???

It may well be that you're the only one .. Bob Chapman has a nice jig for the spheres he makes for Singapore balls .. http://www.bobchapman.co.uk/html/for_woodturners.html ... Not alot take to turn balls on a large scale ..  I've not had much resent call for ball caps, then a jig wouldn't be worth setting up for them.

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 03:04:48 AM »
I agree with David I've only ever been asked to make a couple of balls, but I think if it was a more regular thing or a large batch was requested I think that a jig could be a good solution for consistency and to save time.
    I did watch a YouTube video where a guy actually made a jig out of reinforced nylon/resin on his lathe to turn up to 8" balls, I will try to find it out as he did include plans to  the one he made, might be of some interest to you. For more regular/daily use though I would suggest making it out of steel or getting a quote from convac in Ellistown to commission one. If this is of any interest for you let me know and I'll find out what I can to help.
All the best.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »
i think i may have come across that design when i was designing my own, i'll see if i can get some pictures up of all the components.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
cant be bothered to resize the photos so go to this link and scroll up...

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/woodcraft-forum/60100-all-my-woodwork-so-far-9.html#post1231869
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:15:27 PM by seventhdevil »