Author Topic: Quality appreciation  (Read 11485 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Quality appreciation
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
In the original post, it was mentioned that the image was posted on the web by the person that took the photo. No mention was made of clip art! That begs the question - why are we debating the authenticity of an almost worthless piece of clip art!  ::)

Looks like this arm of the debate was born of a misunderstanding. The first talk of copyright and price-tag came immediately after the use of the clip-art, then your query followed on....I assumed that was what we were discussing. Seems I was wrong!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

andersonec

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
Well in that case hopefully he'll get done for copyright infringement, that'll teach him a lesson.
Just like today I did a road closure as a child got hit by a car, then drivers had the cheek to mouth off at me because it added 7mins to their driving time.
People just don't seems to have any care, consideration or respect for others these days and quite frankly I think it's awful.
TC

My Grandson won a photo competition in Bath during the Olympic games and the photo was featured in the local paper, a short time later he saw the enlarged picture draped above a restaurant entrance, I told him to confront the owners and quote copyright infringement laws, they coughed up £100.

As for the impatient "I come first" and "don't invade my space" individuals, you should have asked them if it had been their child would they agree to the road closure? The world is turning more and more individualistic, my neighbour is up in arms and is "worried" in case we build on a piece of land between our houses, he thinks we are "going to invade his privacy" the land is almost a quarter of an acre.

Andy

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2014, 01:48:47 PM »
Exactly, it's craz how this world is becoming, I just live in hope for our future childrens children so to speak.
no one seems to want to help others these days (with the exception of a few), just hope it all reverts back to how it used to be (like fashion  ::) ) but I'm not holding by breath.
Myself I'm one of those people who would help anyone and expect nothing in return, just wish more people would have the same values. Strange world but hey each to their own.

Update on the child: he managed to get away with a couple of broken ribs, bumps and bruises, lucky boy.

Hope everyones well, take care.

andersonec

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Since rediscovering wood-turning and especially since I've started to delve more into design and shape-and-form etc, I've come to appreciate other art forms more honestly and pragmatically. I now follow a group on Facebook who upload photographs of North Wales, and there are one or two budding young photographers who have an amazing eye for composition and light. However (and it's a big 'however'), yesterday a bloke who's page shows that he posts some really good stuff, posted a picture of the silhouette of three birds in a formation that looked exactly like a smiley face,  flying into a setting sun in a sky ablaze with reds - it was a stunner, but close inspection revealed that all was not as it seemed.

Les

Les, if you want to check the authenticity of a photo and you are using Google just right click on the picture and click on "search Google for this image"

Just a few results....

Andy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:25:35 AM by andersonec »

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
That isn't telling you if they are all accredited to the same person though is it ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

andersonec

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
That isn't telling you if they are all accredited to the same person though is it ?

The details of the photo's were not copied Graham but they did not originate from the same person, but let's just say it was the same guy, are they not posing a few questions? How does he get those birds to 'pose' in three different locations, check the landscape and check the clouds, and then where did Mr sun come from? Three completely different images and I would hazard a guess that none of them originated in North Wales.

Andy

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
I see no problem with manipulating photos, provided it is the copyright owner doing it. It is standard practice. Indiana Jones wasn't really chased by a giant chocolate orange.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?