Author Topic: Quality appreciation  (Read 11465 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Quality appreciation
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
Since rediscovering wood-turning and especially since I've started to delve more into design and shape-and-form etc, I've come to appreciate other art forms more honestly and pragmatically. I now follow a group on Facebook who upload photographs of North Wales, and there are one or two budding young photographers who have an amazing eye for composition and light. However (and it's a big 'however'), yesterday a bloke who's page shows that he posts some really good stuff, posted a picture of the silhouette of three birds in a formation that looked exactly like a smiley face,  flying into a setting sun in a sky ablaze with reds - it was a stunner, but close inspection revealed that all was not as it seemed.

I enlarged the image to 500% and it was clear that one eye had been clipped out of an original image, and them overlaid onto the background image of the sky. If the bird and the background had been original, they would each have had the same size pixels, but these were quite different. Then I checked the other eye....it was a carbon copy of the first one, and again of a different pixel-count to the background. The bird representing the mouth was even more obviously a cut-and-paste job - you can even see the outline of the pixels in the image above.

Not being one to suffer fools, I challenged the authenticity of the picture, only to notice that others had started to do the same. Other viewers had even found identical and a similar picture from web-sites all over the world. Clearly, this 'photographer' had either copied an existing picture, or an idea. Equally clearly, his picture was a fake. However, the 'photographer' stepped in and insisted that he was genuine. I got a bit like a dog-with-a-ferret at this point, and posted some of the other similar and identical images, then the admin people stepped in, came down in the 'photographer's' favour and deleted all my messages, and those of any-body else who dared to question the photographer.

I shan't be subscribing to that group any more, but it made me think about my own work. Yes, I take influence from other woodturners, just as I do from numerous other sources, especially from nature and from history, but I'm sure I'd never stoop as low as this guy! Also, I think that our admin guys are a bit more honest and fairer than the 'North Wales Photographs' bunch.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Quality appreciation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
As the saying goes, there's nothing new under the sun. I agree that trying to pretend that something is original etc when it isn't is deceitful however and personally if I want to copy work by someone I always check first. That photo is no less good because of the way it was made is it? Shame he/ she tried to pretend it was an original photo, spoils the whole thing.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »
I go out of my way to copy things I have seen and liked, that is how I am learning to turn. Not planning on selling them though  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
I see some nice ogees in the image ... winged forms ..

On photographers, I recall seeing a National Competition Winner being disclaimed and removed .. It looked a low shot like St Micheal's Mount with 3 upturned boats, the mount framed between the gap of them in the foreground... it was that the view as it appeared didn't have the boats in at all.  How with today's technology an image can be readily altered.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
"Honesty is the best policy" as they say, I know where you are coming from, I would never take credit for someone else's inspiration, ideas or designs. At the end of the day it's them that deserve the credit.
    A honest truthful world would be a nicer place, maybe he's an MP?  :'(

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »
Regards
Graham

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
It gets worse.....I was contacted by admin and told to behave. I was also told that to make allegations like that, i needed proof. So I sent them the proof. The original photo (which was a photo with edited bits added to it) and even quoted the name of the owner and the Belgian blog in which it originated. Great, I thought, I'll get an apology and the scammer will be revealed.
WRONG!
 I got banned from the group, as did everyone else who dared to speak out. The group is for images of North Wales, but it's run like it's images of North Korea.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
Thats ridiculous to ban you for speaking up and being honest, all as I can say is at least you stood you're ground, whatever happened to freedom of speach!
  I think if that's how their going to be you're better off without them.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »
Les,

That photo has been
Around for a while. I first saw it 2 or 3 years ago, so it was not even done by the person who posted it.

Though it is still clever and does its job of bringing a smile to your face,
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »

Though it is still clever and does its job of bringing a smile to your face,
I agree, wholeheartedly, Bryan, I even showed to a few people here before I realised that it was dodgy. If the person who posted hadn't wallowed in all the glory for taking it, I'd have not said anything, but there was even mention of it being sent to Countryfile for use in a future calender.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »
Well in that case hopefully he'll get done for copyright infringement, that'll teach him a lesson.
Just like today I did a road closure as a child got hit by a car, then drivers had the cheek to mouth off at me because it added 7mins to their driving time.
People just don't seems to have any care, consideration or respect for others these days and quite frankly I think it's awful.
TC

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Les it's not that our admin guys are better.......just that they are asleep. :D :D :D
(watch this space) ;D

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »
Les it's not that our admin guys are better.......just that they are asleep. :D :D :D
(watch this space) ;D
Ho ho....someone likes living dangerously :o

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
What makes an image "authentic"? Ever since photography was invented, photographers have used whatever tools were at their disposal to alter, retouch, refine or otherwise modify a photograph to produce a final image. As long as the image is only intended as something to look at, personally I don't see a problem with image manipulation. After all, photo editing software is just the modern day equivalent of the darkroom but with better technology!

The question of plagiarism is a different issue altogether - where do you start on that one!

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
Oh dear. Call me thick. I have only just realised it is a smilie.
Regards
Graham