Author Topic: Newbie Lathe Maintenance Question  (Read 6019 times)

Neiltoo

Newbie Lathe Maintenance Question
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
Hi
I'm so new at this that I have yet to remove my shiny new lathe from the packaging that it arrived in yesterday. That, time permitting, will happen this evening!
I have learned a lot already from reading posts here, watching videos and reading books.
The downloaded manual for my lathe, an Axminster 1218VS suggests I should remove the protective grease with a de-greaser and then lightly coat with machine oil. Is machine oil plus sawdust not going to result in much 'gunk'? Also what sort of (dry?) lubricant is best for the lathe bed, banjo and tailstock?
Thanks in advance for any help?
Neil

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Newbie Lathe Maintenance Question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
Personaly I wouldn`t put any oil or dry lubricant on the the bedways,banjo or tailstock, once the factory grease is removed,just keep the ways clean and free from rust,if stored over winter camelia oil is good,but does need to be cleaned off again before use,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
I use metalguard ultra which can be bought from the Toolpost. It's a liquid that dries to leave a protective film. I use it both on the lathe bed, toolrest and tailstock quill and on my bandsaw table. It seems to do pretty well at protecting exposed metal when turning green wood.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum, it's always good to see new names popping up here. It sounds like an exciting time for you.
Speaking personally, I don't use any lubricants. My headstock bearing is sealed for life, so doesn't need it, and I don't get rust on my bed or tailstock. I guess that much depends on how frequently you use your lathe -  if it's in use a lot, and the atmosphere in your workshop isn't too damp, you shouldn't need it. On the other hand, if you have a high moisture content and an orange film does build up, try a dry-spray, like aerosol molybdenum, or even aerosol 'White' silicone lubricant available from most large garages or car-spares shops.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
I use Liberon Lubricating wax on the beds and other cast iron items in the workshop http://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-lubricating-wax

It protects against rust and makes it easier to move the banjo and tailstock. A cheaper alternative is any wax polish you have for finishing items works as well you only need a thin coat.

john

teddyt

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »
 Cleaned mine with good old WD40, then gave it a spray with silicone and it seems fine

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »
Hi Neil

Welcome to woodturning already you will see ask a woodturner a question and get many different answers, I use like John the Liberon Lubricating wax or if I find that the lathe is getting a bit dirty especially after turning something like green Oak I give the bed a wipe of with wirewool and rub it over with a piece opf hard bees wax and that seems to keep it all moving smoothly.

Good luck with your new lathe.

Ed 

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
I regularly ( twice a week ) polish all bare metal surfaces ( except toolpost ) with paste wax as used on woodwork , keeps tailstock and saddle movement nice and smooth , also every so often I polish upper surfaces of the lathe with the same to stop splashed / spilt finishing oils sticking to the paint work ( although it is still pretty messy !)  I turn a lot of green wood though I may add !  Also I give the chuck a good blow with compressed air now and again , same with the electric motor and belts / pulleys etc ..... had same lathe for 15 years and never had a problem !!

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »
Hi Trend do a pure P.T.F.E. Spray that dries in seconds, this is an excelent product to use around dust/shavings, I also use it for the sliding carriage of my table saw.
Good luck and happy Christmas

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
Seems to me that you lot spend an awful lot of time just cleaning and polishing your lathes!! Why not just use it to turn more, don't give it a chance for rust to set in.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
That's the one ;D

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
I just use P.T.F.E spray but I don't use mine, makes it mucky so I just sit and look at it. ( Lol )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »
If you do wish to get some P.T.F.E. then I recommend getting the Trend on in a spray can, this seems to be the best out of them all, I have tried loads, don't apply too thick though a light coat is plenty enough. Cheapest place to buy currently is e-bay.
Tc.

Neiltoo

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »
Many thanks for all the replies and the welcomes. I shall digest all that and see how I go. As usual work is getting in the way, and lathe is still not unpacked  although I have finished the bench I'm making for it this morning.
The willpower that it took to finish the bench rather than unpack the lathe was immense!!

Neil

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
When you assemble you're lathe I would advise you to spray the PTFE On the joints and fittings this helps prevent sticking as they are left assembled for such a long time, also prevents corrosion on the parts that you cannot access easier to clean over time, also remember to "run in" you're lathe if it's belt driven as belt do/can stretch, good luck, look after it and it will last you a life time.