Author Topic: Christmas Stitches  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Christmas Stitches
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
A good friend of mine had been showing his mum my Facebook 'Otter Woodcraft' page, and we were all pleased to find that she really liked the stitched and stapled bowls and vases that I do. There I was, thinking that it was more a younger-person's sort of thing. Anyway, he asked me to make her something similar as a Christmas present. So here it is....a piece of apple from a stump that I grubbed out of the ground last March.
It's about 8" tall and 5" diameter, with Sterling silver wire fixings. Altogether, there's a couple of bands around the rim and the foot, about 30 staples, plus a mount for a cabochon of mariam jasper, which is a fossilised form of sediment with shards of straw and sea-shells in it; it's colour is a great match to the apple. The finish is a coat of Danish oil, brushed on heavily, left for 20 minutes then wiped off with a paper towel drenched with white spirit, the whole process repeated a few times to give a very low-sheen.
The biggest difficulty with this piece was avoiding breaking through the wall, either when carving out the ground for the stone, which is down to 1.5mm - 1/16", or when pre-drilling all the holes for the staples, which I set into holes just a little too shallow for them, drop in a spot of ca adesive off the end of a dress-pin, then press the staples home to bed them well.

C&C always welcome...Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Christmas Stitches
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
You definitely like doing things that are different don't you Les LOL? Looks like old apple which is always turning out different grains and colours and you have made something that lets it do the talking. How have you fixed the cabochon? I find that you need a good epoxy as the mineral tends to break away from CA glue after a while.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
How have you fixed the cabochon?

Thanks for the comments, Pete, it was great fun to work - quite therapeutic. On stones like this, I usually carve out the recess, leaving the surface roughed up and then sand the back of the stone to give it a key. The adhesive I use is E6000, medium viscosity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9ml-E6000-Glue-Strong-Clear-Adhesive-With-Free-Nozzle-Rhinestone-UK-SELLER-/251721888205?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item3a9bcb31cd

Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
Les

Looks like a lot of effort as gone into this piece and well worth it, it looks great  :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
A professional Turner I know once did a talk on 'You can't sell a Crack', guess you missed that one Les...

... Good job too!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
I must admit it's not something I have seen before but I'm plesantly surprised, beautiful pattern blends in the apple too, well done very nice indeed.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »
I must admit it's not something I have seen before....
Hi Ryan....it's a technique that I use frequently and it is extremely popular at the shops and galleries. it can 'lift' a fairly ordinary piece and give it another dimension. I soemtimes use Sterling silver wire, and sometimes leather thong....each is quite effective.

Here's a few examples that have appeared in this forum before.

Les

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »
Impressive Dr Les. Very impressive.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »

There's a richness in this pieces .. more so than the silver, wonderful color found in Apple as showcased here.

It's a piece one couldn't put down and unlikely to find two the same, Beautiful transformation.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''