A good choice of lathe?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
5 (71.4%)
Unsure
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Charnwood W880 lathe  (Read 11399 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Charnwood W880 lathe
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
I think it makes a lot of sense to choose your supplier, then your lathe.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
Hi Ryan

I went through the same process last November and did a fair bit of research I was going to buy the Killinger 1400 but then I came across the Axminster AT1628VS which is made in the same place as the Killinger this is not made by Burt. The machine is powerful and dealt with everything I've thrown at it I've turned platters to 32" and mounted 50kg lumps of wood on it. It as full variable speed forward and reverse (I don't see the need for reverse). The spindle is M33 x 3.5 and is as sturdy as you can get.

I too like Woody purchased a band saw from Charmwood this was the largest model that they did it arrived damaged their after sales was poor and I had to do a lot of jumping up and down to get it right, and all the bits when they finally arrived (which took months) I had to assemble myself.

The Axminster hold good value for money and at the moment is on offer at 1200.00 but if you need legs then this would cost more than you are wanting to spend.

If you are anywhere near Ashford, Kent you are more than welcome to come and take a look and give it a try.

Regards

Ed   

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »
Like ED I went through the same process and ended up with the Axminster AT1628VS and I love it.   It has plenty of power and although it is only 16" swing over the bed if you buy the bed extension and mount it at the lower level you can turn up to 34".  I went a different route and brought a second hand free standing tool rest, I have since turned a table top for someone which was 5 foot diameter and 4 inches thick the lathe handled it without a problem.

john

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »

As tested by Woodturning, The Axminster & Killinger http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=3262 ..

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=2249 ...  Read more tests under Kit & Tools ..

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
I can't help with regards your lathe choices but if you do go to Axminster, you should be able to get something like a 15% discount.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
I can't help with regards your lathe choices but if you do go to Axminster, you should be able to get something like a 15% discount.
Isn't that only if you are a member of a registered club ?
Regards
Graham

Offline jonas

• iron
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »
At a club meeting I asked the professional demonstrator the same question you are asking. I also had about £1300 to spend. His reply was "a second hand UNION GRADUATE."
I bought one on e bay for £350. Fitted new bearings & belt for £25, new motor & iverter for variable speed for £425. paint £30. Total £830.
I could then afford a new Evollution chuck to replace the old one that came with the lathe.
Total spend less than £1000.
I am delighted with my purchase & grateful for the advice of a professional.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 08:21:02 AM »
Hi thanks for all you're help and replies, I am a AWGB member so at least I should be able to get the discount, there is lots of info to absorb here, I live in Leicetershire, I must admit the axminster sounds good 32" platter & 50kg chunk of wood WOW, well done.
I unfortunatley don't have 3phase in my workshop so for me it's either inverted or single phase.
I wasn't sure about buying second hand due to getting parts etc and it would be nice to have it taken straight into my workshop.
Any further advice more than appreciated, thanks again

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
The Axi 1528 does not need 3 phase electrickery, it has an inverter built in.
I don't think being an AWGB member will get you a discount by itself, Axi work at club level so you will need to be a member of an accredited club that has signed up with them.
Regards
Graham

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 11:45:25 AM »
Hi Ryan

I went through the same process last November and did a fair bit of research I was going to buy the Killinger 1400 but then I came across the Axminster AT1628VS which is made in the same place as the Killinger this is not made by Burt.

I had a problem with the motor on my Killinger which was sorted out by them at no cost to me even after the warranty had run out but I bought it before Axi started to sell their version. Now although the Axminster version is a very good lathe and if it was on sale when I bought mine I would have probably gone for it (one of our club members has one and it IS good). When I was in contact with Killinger I did ask the question about manufacture and this is a part of their reply.

As you probably can imagine, you cannot protect a product which means that - since 1975 -
a couple of different companies tried and did copy our lathes, also parts of it
they "jump on the bandwagon" as we say here and of course they try to make their products
seem to be our products ...

all our machines - again since 1975 - are based on our own constructions so the parts from the lathes
of course we are having a couple of different suppliers and manufacturers for the different parts
but most important is:
we guarantee quality management which means that after the final assembling here in Eichenau
every machine is checked carefully (tolerances as per our sketches etc) and also tested 

I read from this that the Axi is a copy and not made by Killiinger and looking more closely you can tell by the fittings that are on the Axminster one, however that does not take away the fact the the Axi is a superb piece of kit.

Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
A spokesman from Axminster has said that the Axi 1628 and the Killinger lathe are both made in the same factory in china. As far as I can make out it is the same basic machine with one or two components ( the motor for instance ) specified by the retailing company.
Regards
Graham

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
Hi Graham, According to the engineer at Killinger the lathes are not made in china but at their factories in Germany however they do get the castings made for them at factories in China. Either way both are very good machines and worth having and not easy to tell apart.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »
Farmers used to take sheep to Wales for a night so they could call it Welsh Lamb.
Regards
Graham

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
I remember when 'Made in Japan' was laughed at in the same way as China is now. How things have changed  :)
Regards
Graham