Author Topic: do you have tips and tricks to save some money  (Read 6382 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: do you have tips and tricks to save some money
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »
I have several bits of Buddlea drying. What is the issue with it Pete ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
I agree with Pete, Buddlea can be stringy but I do manage to turn mushrooms out of it. Being an irregular and oftime cracked bit of timber it does yeild strange and interesting mushrooms.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
Maybe if you get hold of a decent large piece there may be some decent timber in it but usually you just get smaller diameter pieces and the wood is stringy, like a bundle of straws. Hadn't thought of using it for mushrooms. Even ivy is better and can yield some interesting shapes and colours.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
Has anyone got hold of Wisteria?

I understand it bursts out of itself and wraps around the previous growth. That I think would be an amazing bit of garden shrub to get hold of.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
One tip that I soon learnt, was that if you have to buy your timber, find a local sawmills and (ideally) get to know the owner. Three weeks ago I was rummaging through the stock at my favourite mill and I found a pile of through-and-through sawn brown oak, and there, almost on the top of the stack, was a 2.5 metre length of 4cm thick brown oak, big enough to give half a dozen  40cm (16") diameter platters, and the whole board was from one side of the pith, so it was quarter sawn. OK....one end of the plank had a shake in it, so I got 5 platters and a plate, but I also got 11 discs big enough to make tea-light holders. 3 of the platters will go to shops where I sell, and I've already got orders for the others, so I'll get the full value of them.

Here's the maths
3 platters sold @ £40 each  =  £120
2 platters sold @ £55 each  =  £110
1 plate sold @ £18              =  £18
11 tea light holders @ £6     = £66
Total sale value                   = £314

The board cost me £45 and 11 brass tea-light holders (+postage) cost me about £15, so that's about £250 profit from one board. Platters take me an hour and a half each, and the tea light holders are very basic; so I make one in 20 minutes. All in all, that's 13 hours work, so I'm making just under £20 per hour.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
Thats good Les, and just under £20 an hour sounds OK but is it really that much ? You count  the manufacturing time but what about the time getting the timber, caring for it while drying ( maybe), cleaning up the shop, taking stock to sale rooms or craft fairs etc..... the list goes on for ever and I guess it would become pretty scary.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
Thats good Les, and just under £20 an hour sounds OK but is it really that much ? You count  the manufacturing time but what about the time getting the timber, caring for it while drying ( maybe), cleaning up the shop, taking stock to sale rooms or craft fairs etc..... the list goes on for ever and I guess it would become pretty scary.
It's a very fair point, Graham. I try not to go to the timberyard just for timber, but double up with a shopping trip (thank goodness that my wife finds the place fascinating and the dogs think they've gone to heaven) The timber was well seasoned and I try to gross £20 per hour to give me £4 per hour towards overheads and £16 per hour for me.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.