Author Topic: Is it me? I hope not!  (Read 13089 times)

teddyt

Re: Is it me? I hope not!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »
here's my 2bob's worth and maybe at a bit of a tangent.....
I am very new to the world of turnning(a few months). so am still more of a outsider than most of you. I stopped going to craft fairs etc. because I was sick to death of going to stall after stall selling rubbish!!!!( and most of the people I spoke too feel the same). if I am going to buy something hand made I expect it to be better than a chimpanze with a pen knife could manage!!!

And there lays the issue, decent stuff costs decent money. why because it takes years to become good enough to make stuff to sell, and be proud of. however most "sellers" want quick cash and any old tat will do. and as "customers" we all now want a bargain, and if that means an inferior product but we save a couple of quid we go for it!!! in a way it is self perpetuating. not right but thats how it seems.  and to be honest until i became involved with turning a "ok "piece for a £1 was a better bargain than a "good" piece for £3. because of my ignorance of what is involved in the process etc. i have made stuff, wands pens etc. which whilsh I am happy with at this stage in my turning I would not deem good enough to sell. How do I know this ? Well when finished I think about how much it should sell for , TIME,MATERIALS,ETC. and would I pay that for it.....at the moment NO!!!

luckly I am a member of northbucks turners and go everey saturday I can, there are some wonderful turners there ,that also keeps me grounded

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
I am very new to the world of turning(a few months). so am still more of a outsider than most of you.
.....you're wrong there; you're a member of this group and you are therefore most definitely not an outsider. We are not exclusive in any way and just because you'r new to turning, it does not mean that you're on-the-outside. ;)

Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
New to turning means new ideas and new viewpoints, saves us oldies getting in a rut if we aren't already there LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »

Hi Teddyt,
                  I agree with Les & Pete Welcome to the Forum.

Regards John   
John Smith

teddyt

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
aww!! thanks guys

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »
Yes. I agree. Welcome to the forum, The only exclusive part is that we are all wood turners, some a lot better and more experienced that others, but that does not stop us sharing ideas and experiences and learning together. So welcome to the club and please feel free to add comments as you wish. Malcolm.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »
What he^^^^ said with an added....some are better looking than others. ;D ;D ;D