Author Topic: Detail sander  (Read 13692 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Detail sander
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »
For very small detail sanding you might consider modifying an electric tooth brush.

Brilliant idea!
Les

The same has been mentioned on WOW recently, also a post of a modified hair trimmer .. having replaced the cutter head with a small block on the oscillating arm, then attaching abrasive.

cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »
For very small detail sanding you might consider modifying an electric tooth brush.

Philip

I  have a “Sonic Scrubber” from Lakeland. One of the accessories is  a head with velcro that accepts velcro-backed pads. But one could  use it with velcro backed abrasive instead.

MC

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 07:43:49 AM »
I've watched a great deal of YouTube videos where they talk about power sanding. Not that they show much of the sanding process but I wonder if that would be helpful.

They normally make themselves cone shaped sanding blocks, Drilled out and a nut and bolt fitted so they can be inserted into a drill.
Then are normally finished with foam/mouse mat glued to the flat end and then sanding abrasive glued to that.

I suppose you could make any size you wanted to fit your specific job at hand.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »
I  have a “Sonic Scrubber” from Lakeland. One of the accessories is  a head with velcro that accepts velcro-backed pads. But one could  use it with velcro backed abrasive instead.
MC
just checked that out....it looks to be perfect, especially as it has Velcro heads on it....have ordered one - thanks.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
MC
just checked that out....it looks to be perfect, especially as it has Velcro heads on it....have ordered one - thanks.

Les
Do let us all know how you get on

MC

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 01:11:30 AM »

Philip

MC

Aldi are currently selling the Sonic Scrubbers at £9.99 (they are ~ £15 elsewhere).

The head with velcro is  NOT included although it would  NOT be too difficult to modify the large brush when bristles are worn out.

My very best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Successful, Prosperous and Stress-free New Year to all.

MC

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »
These sonic scrubbers look great and they have a great range of heads. I think that the aldi deal is finished.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »
Just a though, I use one of these for a lot of stuff accompanied by my dremel for hard to reach places.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TFS1Y8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00ECC5SCW&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0V5PWRSENXSYE6VX7B5P

Hope this is of some help.
All the best.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
These sonic scrubbers look great and they have a great range of heads. I think that the aldi deal is finished.

I  bought one from Aldi only a couple of days ago.

In my experience, after the end of the “offer period” Aldi shops sell remaining stock at a discount on their normal price.

I  bought a sabre saw reduced to half of the normal price of £24.99 (the lad at the checkout was surprised that I  was able to calculate half of £24.99 without electronic aids!)

So, if you have a local Aldi, it's worth looking to see if there are any Sonic scrubbers left.

The Aldi price of £9.99 includes three extra heads which the regular price of £15 from the manufacturer doesn't!

My very best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Successful, Prosperous and Stress-free New Year.

MC

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:11 AM »
I use a right angle drill for power sanding. They are much easier to control than a pistol style drill because the sanding plane is aligned with your arm instead of being at 90°.

The Makita right angle drill with the keyed chuck has the chuck mostly buried in the head of the drill so it can get into some pretty tight spaces.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »
Now this I do fully agree with, the right angle does make things a lot easier.
If you do consider the air version make sure that the compressor used has enough cfm, if not you'll have to keep waiting for the pressure to build back up, the main reason I use air is tools are a lot more cost effective and also have a lot lower "risk" i.e. Accidentally chopping through the power cable etc.
Again though many people have different preferences to the tolls that they use, if more of a personal decision and which you're most "comfortable" using.
Best of luck.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
Proxxon do detail sanders to at £26.00 and a thin belt sander at £121.94p,blackanddecker do a thin beltsander for less than £60.00p with 2 optional belt sizes,I bought the B+D one as its half the price of the Proxxon one and the 2 other sized belt assemblies work out at around £22.00p plus postage.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
I know this is an old thread but Aldi have their Sonic Scrubbers again at £9.99

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)