Author Topic: Posting images / photo's  (Read 5112 times)

andersonec

Posting images / photo's
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
Ho does one post an image on here?

Andy

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Posting images / photo's
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
Well...I was about to link you to a tutorial to do just what you're asking, but I'm darned if I can find it.

Anyway...here's how I do it.
firstly, upload the image to a web image hoster....I use Photo-bucket, then, when the image is uploaded, open it and click on the 'IMG' entry in the box-menu of links (usually just to the right of the image). Clicking on it, automatically copies it....then all you do is copy and paste it into your message.

Sounds complex, but it's quite easy once you've done it a few times.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »

Hi Andy,
              I do not know how to do a link I think the one Les was looking for was posted by Andy Coates on 5th May 2011.

Regards John

John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
Below the text box where you write there is a link 'Additional Options'. Click that then browse. You can now look for the photo yu want to upload on your computer and add it to your message.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »
        Hi Andy, It now appears at the top of the index. John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
It's as simple as Pete's said

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
It is as easy as Pete says..... but only if you click the reply button. ( It does not appear under quick reply if you have that activated )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
This subject has cropped up many times , and I have never  been able to get a picture on which is very frustrating !  It is not as simple as some above has mentioned it is related to file size , which is OK if you have a low res camera but most cameras nowadays are well over the size limit for this site ( not sure why it is so small ) I believe  there is a way of reducing the size but I have not been able to fathom this out yet !, my computer skills are not great but I can get photos on many other sites of various subjects ... just not this one !!!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
i have to agree with you on the one twig. i don't have any photos that are of a small enough size to upload on here and wish that the picture size was much bigger. the limit is 3000 kb but i've tried to post ones that are a couple of hundred kb under that limit but it's having none of it. kept coming up with a white page???

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
I used to have this problem, of modern digital cameras taking too high a definition picture....but then I did a search on Google for 'Image resize' and downloaded some free software. Now, when I choose an image, I right-click on it and in the items on the pop-up menu that appears, is an option to resize. Click on that and I can choose from several different size options.....takes seconds and the results are fine for use on internet forums.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
that's fine for anyone who knows what they are doing but i'm more at home in the workshop rather than in front of a computer.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
There is another possibility for resizing your images. Most digital cameras have this function built into the camera. With my Nikons, all you have to do is display the image on the camera screen, then use the Menu to get to the Small picture option. I then have the option to create a 640 x 480, 320 x 240 and 160 x 120 copies of the original. These are VERY small pictures and I would recommend using the 640 x 480.

I am sure other manufacturers will offer very similar functions. The great thing is you don't need any extra software on your PC, just make sure you use the smaller pictures from your camera.

Regarding the reason why some sites won't allow large images, it is all down to the amount of storage allocated to each user. A forum was originally meant to be just text, which requires the minimal amount of storage space. Now we have the facility to add images, they had to put a limit on the volume of data. Just consider that you could store around 100 of the 640 x 480 sized images in the same space required to store just one 16Mpxl image.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:19:14 PM »

Thank you Derwent Woodturning did not realise I could re size on my camera. Like Les I use photobucket to
       up load images onto the forum and I use the resize facility on there.

Just tried it out on the camera.........it`s much quicker
      Thanks again
       Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/