Author Topic: Spalt-pile  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Spalt-pile
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:15:27 AM »
I had a stroke of luck the other day! I was watching an auction on ebay, for some chap's spalt-pile of logs. All we had to go on was a photo which didn't really show just how much was there, and the vendor was adamant that he simply didn't have time to catalogue it all (he needed to move home very urgently), so there was an element of pot-luck about it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got the lot for £33.

It's all now neatly piled up in my garden. The wall in the background is just under 5ft high and the pile is 4ft deep, with a load of the smaller pieces behind the big stuff at the front of the stack.

The two big lumps are elm, whilst the black end grain on the left is olive.....there are seven logs of olive, each around 12" diameter and about 30" long, plus a gnarled and knotty base of the trunk, and about 30 pieces of branchwood.

A nice surprise, was that there are huge pieces of acacia....30" diameter logs cut into 18" lengths and split through the centre  got about 4 of those. There's several large lumps of oak burr, plus lime, sycamore and beech.

In this pic, log number 69 is a 4ft length of walnut, the black-ended knobbly piece on the bottom left is olive, and the rectangular slab is elm.

Whilst I was there, he also sold me three boards that were stored indoors and nice & dry. Ash 6ft x 30" x 2", elm 5ft x 30" x 2" and brown oak, 8ft x 12" x 2". That's almost 6cubic feet....got that lot for another £30.

Guess who's grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Spalt-pile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
Guess who's grinning like a Cheshire Cat!
Les
Ummmm, Aaaaaa, You ?
Well done Les. Nice pick up.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »

Not surprising that that small trailer was so over laden, having seen you on the first trip, was there only the two trips needed to clear everything. You'd had two long days traveling as well. Trust you'd not over stressed yourself ... hope your Doctor doesn't get to read this forum and put 2+2 together ... we'll not tell ... where was the second location you'd needed to go ..  ;D .. or was it only this place.

Note, if not done trailers O/S Brake Light didn't work, wouldn't want the boys in blue pulling you over for that & overloaded.

Should see some very nice piece over the months/years to come.  Take care.   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
... was there only the two trips needed to clear everything.

Yep....all done in 2 trips
You'd had two long days traveling as well. Trust you'd not over stressed yourself ...
The driving was a bit of a bind, but the second day was much quicker (kept off the M5/M6 altogether). There was plenty of help at each end, all I needed to do was drive, so I stuck copious numbers of freezer-patches onto my neck to keep the pain at bay
where was the second location you'd needed to go ..
The main batch was in Worcester and the smaller lot (the yew and laburnum logs, which I hadn't mentioned in the thread) were in Droitwich, which I passed through on the way, on the first trip.
Note, if not done trailers O/S Brake Light didn't work
Yep....spotted that before I set off for the second load, so swapped trailers for a bigger trailer and stuck a new lighting-board on it.

Should see some very nice piece over the months/years to come.  Take care.   Dewi

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »

where was the second location you'd needed to go ..
The main batch was in Worcester and the smaller lot (the yew and laburnum logs, which I hadn't mentioned in the thread) were in Droitwich, which I passed through on the way, on the first trip.

Mom's the word .. Don't think anyone would have spotted it's yew & laburnum nor location ..     ;D ..

Was it a typo, should that have read #67 ..

Should be some nice firewood over the Winter months/years to come...   :o ... Take care.   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
Was it a typo, should that have read #67 ....
Yep....but more of a memory error than a typing error.

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
That looks like a nice birch trunk in the middle of the first photo. They can spalt while growing (Birch Polypore fungus) and the spalt can be stunning.

The way you are buying up timber we're all going to be looking to you to be a supplier soon!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
That looks like a nice birch trunk in the middle of the first photo. They can spalt while growing (Birch Polypore fungus) and the spalt can be stunning.

The way you are buying up timber we're all going to be looking to you to be a supplier soon!
Hi Bryan...you're right, it is birch, and it'll be coming down in the winter....it's getting too high for the garden and keeps fighting the leylandii for light, so it's currently spreading its branches out, over the adjacent car park - good enough reason to pull it down!

Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
every now and then it's worth a punt on EB  :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »
you're right, it is birch, and it'll be coming down in the winter....

Ah, I thought it was a trunk that was part of your haul but propped up, my error. Well fingers crossed for some nice spalt anyway.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!