Author Topic: The new workshop....  (Read 11408 times)

theblindwoodturner

Re: The new workshop....
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
ah. sunday. oh well lol.

Today, the floor was laid. what a tricky and painful job. Sitting on the floor, placing T&G boards together and screwing in place, trimming, cutting and final leveling. After that I decided to do some extra fine tuning on the design. this includes new interior window frames to match the new finish, an extended door frame to the exit / delivery door, etc.

tomorrow, I sort things out with the builders yard re the timber and then I can finally get on with things. Considering at one point I felt my back "PING" and I was in pain for most of the day, I've managed to get a heck of a lot done.

Hope to be completed by thursday at the latest depending on materials, etc.

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
Well today's just started and a problem has just haulted the entire job.

my trusty bosch chop saw (GCM12SD) has died. the motor is growling and smoking like a good one. Spoke to bosch and like usual they're not too helpful. So now I'm having to take the slower approach which is a bit more difficult for me. oh well..

I'm seriously examining buying a ras for production cutting. what a pain in the neck. oh well. these things happen.

anyway just catching up on a bit of paperwork for a few mins and waiting on a phone call back.

have a great day and if you've got amazing weather like we have here, enjoy.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 06:20:59 PM »
an update.

The chop saw can be repaired by bosch under warranty.... HOWEVER. It MUST be in a suitable box or CRATE to be collected. as I don't have either, I have to travel to wrexham with dad on monday which is a pain in the neck. The company want to charge me £90 to collect and deliver the saw.

not a financially viable option there.

so will have to wait till next week.

However, the good news is I'm nearly finished....

The saga with the wood............. WELL........... ERMM...........

Went in this morning to sort out the situation and put the idiot in charge of the wood yard straight on things. well that worked out well as the damaged materials were collected and I was refunded this afternoon. No worries there.

Went to collect the refund this afternoon to then place an order for materials for another job to be served by what I can only describe as a brainless half wit gnome with no ounce of "Get up and go" enough to make your tea curdle and whatever chance of food go way out of the window.

This brainless half wit (Gnome) took 20 mins to sort out a payment and then as I needed to sort out the order and delivery schedule, it decided to have a "Blonde moment" and leave the till and serve someone else. NO this won't do. It comes back to give me the words "Might be tomorrow some time........"

That's asking for trouble. I was at that point absolutely livid.

Anywho, As I was leaving, a customer who I knew from one of our local trades was buying a workshop vac for a site job. The other member of staff "The old age teapot" gave this guy the wrong info and told him to use the machine without dust bags when the guy buying the machine was clearly using it for fine sanding dusts. wrong machine, wrong bags, wrong info.

How do I know this..... Well I happen to know Numatic very well indeed as an endorser of their industrial equipment.

anyway enough of my brain rattling on. The gerbil seems to be pushing boxes of screws around my desk.

(esk = half desk half elf)

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
Today was stressful. had an accidental electrical shutdown. I was in the middle of finish cladding and installing beam casings when I was distracted  by mum of all people saying something whilst I had the drill and screw in hand putting up a decorative panel to the apex casings when the next minute I know, everything's off. I'd struck the earth cable but not gone all the way through the cable. phew.

The bosch chop saw has been picked up and taken to bosch for servicing. so should be with me in a week.

It's funny, you never realise how easy your job is until your mitre saw goes away and you're there feeling the line ready to cut with a jig saw or circular saw. stressful, tiring and nerving.

tomorrow is final casing installations and then friday is all day wall and ceiling sanding ready for a clear sealer to go on.

then all being well the carpet goes down saturday and sunday.

after this, it's time to order my new lathe rig, etc. let's just hope I can find a dealer willing to either do discount or do a package deal for me.

have fun all.

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
At last, today's finally over and the last of the casings are done. tomorrow afternoon is sanding day, all of saturday, etc. then sunday is carpet day. Fingers crossed, monday is the finish date. although there will be some further fine tuning at a later date.

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen. At last, the breakthrough.

I finally laid the carpet and underlay today, everything else is just finished but I've a few fine tuning bits to do.

the lathe is being ordered in the morning.

Well...... Here's something to interest you. This is what happened yesterday.

I was undrtaking the fine finish process yesterday which involved a sander and dust extractor running on and off for most of the day sanding the walls, ceilings, doors, etc.

Before I go further, The incident in question involves a next door neighbour who takes great delight in spying on myself and family (I've been made aware of his spying on myself  by mum), his abusive threats, bullying techniques, etc. Now the chap in question is over 70 and thinks he owns our home, my workshop and my job lists. you know the type....

What follows will amaze and shock you. All of yesterday, stones were thrown at my workshop, bouncing off the walls and nearly breaking windows, then a torrent of abuse, about an hour or so later he comes onto the property to find my dad towering over him. This guy is hurling abuse at me and targeting  my disability, etc. Dad advises him to leave or police will become involved.

This continues.

8PM last night, two of North Wales's finest arrive ringing the door. At this point, we're all settling in for the night and trying to eat. They wanted to find out what was going on and demanded to see my workshop.

Now the workshop is empty, give or take my cordless gear, a sander, the extractor and a small radio  while my hifi is stored out of the way for protection. Now luckily one of the officers knows me and we got chatting and resolving the issue which turns out this total plank is moaning about noise. No such thing. the workshop is acoustically insulated, so you don't hear anything other than the odd hum. He told officers I was using a grinder, drills, a bandsaw, etc.

The bandsaw was sold a while back as I'm in the process of replacing it with something better, I don't use angle grinders, etc as I can't stand them. So this guy's basically manure stirring.

The two officers are more than happy with us and the officer who was spending time with me in the workshop to get a feel for things, was amazed. he asked for  a replication of the sound levels, so I did so. He said "That's nothing to us lot."

Turns out the copper was a former joiner himself.

anyway that was last night ruined. mum upset when she's supposed to be resting as the radiotherapy is taking it out of her.

So today's gone well.

more to come. new photos up this week. Cant wait? well I'm sorry you'll have to.

but here's a hint.....

Ever heard of the swedish Chef?

WELL....... Here's a Swedish SHED! lol with room for gerbil powered lathe.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 02:52:45 AM »

Oh NO...  Not the end in sight...  What shall we have to read..  now..    ;D ...   Well done on keeping us up to date..   Lathe later today..

Take care.             David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh. a huge sigh of relief. The lathe has just arrived. wow, it's a brute, huge as heck and weighs over 1/2 ton. what a little beauty. Can't wait to get it up and running..

I need to phone Brimarc in the morning to ask for electrical advice as the main cable is way too short to my main supply. So I need to install a long cable and possibly a floor cable cover to protect myself from a trip hazard.

I can't believe it's finally here.

Here's something which will make you laugh.

I received a call this afternoon as promised from the driver to let me know he was on the way, however he was stuck on a 1 way road where some total plank parked a car and blocked off the road causing 30+ cars behind the wagon. it had to be towed.

anyway..... this gets even better.

The axminster wagon arrived at 6PM and I was greeted by what I can only sound wise describe as a hobbit from somewhere called..... Devon? with the words...... "Got a parcel for you. Tis you isn't it?"

This had me amused and then the unloading of the lathe and another box begun. it took both of us to move the lathe off the ramp onto the pavement as this particular road slopes both sides by quite a degree. kind of like pushing wombles around.

We now had 3 pain in the neck bully boy neighbours watching us including the barn pot next door going from the front drive on his property to the back garden, on his step ladder nosing in. Now mum bless her is pretty much like a cheesed off German shepherd when certain people push her buttons. and out of nowhere, mum put this total barn pot in his place as well as the other neighbour making a nuissance of herself.

oh well, I'm the talk of the street. who cares. certainly not me.

The hobbit and I were wheeling this massive box crate down the drive and positioning it to the loading door of the workshop. From there, let's just say the challenge was moving the lathe bearing in mind there's a fully carpeted workshop. So a huge slab of MDF (sacrificial board) went down for both legs to slide. I did warn him I was blind and he didn't seem to understand until he sent the lathe a little too far and I asked him to stop while I check the distances by feel. I told him it needs to move back 18in and he was puzzled. I said to him "I did warn you I have no sight at all and here I am putting my back into the lathe, trying to feel my way around and pull / push this."

anyway, it's now in, about to be set up and the hobbit is on his merry way somewhere else. probably back to that place called.... Devon?

anywho I've things to do and tomorrow is lathe setup day.

take care all.

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen. I bring you news of much joy.

I hereby inform all that the workshop officially shall open from Monday of this week.

Photos will be posted tomorrow night.

lew

Offline BRIAN L

• iron
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »
Wot no pictures A waste of time.

ALL THE BEST Brian L

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
Hey brian.

Remember I told you about the idiot electrician. Well he's holding me up. photos tomorrow. Have had a lot to deal with today and I'm not exactly a happy bunny.

lew

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
As promised at last, photos.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 02:57:46 AM »

8) ..   Lew,  That is one excellent build..  next to see some shavings on that carpet... reminds me as to the chap who had a wall to wall carpet in his garage..  his car fell in it..   :D ..    Whot !!!!!! I see no hamsters..   ;D ...   good to see a picture of you..  hope your more of a happy bunny today.

Cheers and hope you have many happy and fun hours in the shop, try to keep it clear....   :D ...       David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:38:12 AM »
lol yep I'm a very happy bunny..

Well it's wednesday morning. it's rained and I'm about to start the morning's business with some marketing and endorsement / sponsorship work. after that, it's some tactile design for the drying rack, desking and the all important lathe tool rack.

lew

The Gerbils are waiting to move in lol. one had a very interesting conversation with a random dog about "Renting my workshop out as a sauna"