Author Topic: Pen Mandrel Kits  (Read 17431 times)

Gizmo3k

Re: Pen Mandrel Kits
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »
Thanks edbanger, my order was already in by the time you posted unfortunately. Just waiting for everything to arrive now.

On the subject of pen blanks, how small can they be, for example for a 7mm kit? When I bought the lathe, I got some random bits of wood, including some bits of 3/4 inch board (maybe mahogany, not too good with woods). Is this likely to be thickens ugh if I rip it down? The only other thing I can think of for this wood is to use it for spinning tops, along with dowel for the spindle.

Thanks

Alan

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »
3/4" is fine. That is the size some pen blank suppliers use. When I cut my own blanks, usually from off-cuts, I tend to make them half inch or a bit over but then, most of my pens are quite slim.

Something like mahogany is ok but personally, I prefer to use timber that has colour variation like Yew, a nice grain pattern like Lacewood or something else that makes it look different or unusual like a burr.

Don't forget to post some pics of your completed pens. We have all been through the same phase that you are about to embark on and I know you will get lots of encouragement and advice on improvements for the next batch.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Hi Alan, A lot depends on the pen kit that you have and the thickness of the pen you are going to create. For example I have made some slimline pens for a local kitchen fitter out of corian, this material comes in 12mm thick bits so you have to drill a 7mm hole down the middle of the blank that only leaves
2.5mm wall thickness when turned round but you get a pen that matches the worktop. European Style pens tend to be a bit thicker so I would use a 20x20mm blank for these, your Mahogany should do the job fine. Pen making is a good way to use up surplus material and you can make a few pennies on them if they are done well. I tend to make them to order these days as you tend to get a pile of them that sit in the drawer for ages.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Gizmo3k

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »
Thanks for that.

A guy I work with has some cherry off cuts he is going to give me, which is nice! With any luck I will be able to give him a nice pen in return,

My mandrel and chuck both arrived today, looks like I have another evening in the garage planned!

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »
Have fun with it  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »
if any one wants pen blanks then please see this thread.

http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,2568.msg19244.html#new

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
Nice to see a mention of Proops on here.
[snip]
The original founders sold out and the company moved up to Leicester and now sell the range you see in the catalogue. The drill chucks are very  good and worth the money. Proops can be found at many of the woodworking shows and it's always a good idea to check out their stand for goodies.

David

I've  visited Proops and, in my view, it's well worth going if one is  in the area.

They seem to be improving the way that they display the various goods so I  enjoyed browsing. They also had the end of Addis's range of woodturning chisels.

I've  one of their big chucks and haven't had any problems with it.

MC

Gizmo3k

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
Well, I have had the chuck about a week now, can't really fault it so far. Seems to do the job fine!