Author Topic: Inadequate grip  (Read 13347 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Inadequate grip
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have ordered a set of 'H' gripper jaws which, if nothing else, will make me feel more confident. I am three parts of the way through building a strong spindle steady which should be finished tomorrow with a bit of luck and a following wind ( praying for rain ) and I have something to use in the bowl for the tailstock.
Should be all systems go soon.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

Hi Graham, did you go for the carriers as well, I know it adds to the cost (I can readily spent any one's money) all you need do is scroll out the whole jaws and swop back in numeral order the other set, saves on fiddling with allen keys & small screws, especially if you change jaws regularly, unlike the most of us, there are those who have numerous chucks setup with different jaws, very handy, I run to two chucks, but they fit each of the lathes and odd have the same C jaws .. :( .. well the newer set has the 2 sets of step jaws which fit the older chuck.

In making the steady post what's, how and wherefore with the parts, it will be of interest, I'm sure for others.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
Hi David
No I didn't get the carriers as well, one thing at a time  :)
I meant to take pics while making the steady but forgot. To late now but I will take a pic of the finished article and put up.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?