Author Topic: If music be the food of love..........?  (Read 3314 times)

theblindwoodturner

If music be the food of love..........?
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
Hey folks.

Well, you know when you go into your second home (the shed) and you switch on your lathe or other gear and create all your tons of shavings, much loved noise and more besides.... Do you ever switch on your radio or hifi and blast out some decent music?

I know I do. My hifi is usually turned on and to a nice yet reasonably loud volume with whatever I find as inspiration.

I use music and sound as one of my primary focuses in turning. so from modern pop to 60's music, etc, depending on the project and mood, I'll go through over 120 CD's worth of music and have a nice playlist. No I've not gone modern enough to stick in a computer in the workshop.

So just to add a degree of curiosity... what's your tune? oops I'm going new age.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What music do you tend to listen to in your workshop? does anything inspire you to "Chuck that lump of wood on 't' lathe and make shavings 'n' stuff.

No this isn't how I normally type but hey it's an interesting evening. I'm taking some inspiration for some projects I want to do when my new lathe is sorted out. so for the moment I've a workshop to redesign.

lew

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: If music be the food of love..........?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »
My radio is normally set to Gold, 60's through 80's music. Sometimes a bit repetitive (especially the Adverts) but always enjoyable.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Radio wise if it's delicate work or I'm in there just to relax then it's classic FM or BBC radio 3. the odd bit of radio 2, etc. the rest of it ranges anywhere from Genesis, phil collins, queen, jean michel jarre, brian wilson / beech boys, etc you name it, it's in there..

having sat down earlier for a breather I'm thinking of a hifi upgrade lol.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »

Well done Lew for some good questions.

Ahhh..  Classic FM..  as the station has to be reset each time..  it's the only numbers I remember..  Tape..  what I hear.. is that..  Queen, a Wings Greatest and those Top Gear driving tunes you some how had to have, an as I can't play them in the car...  I find the LP's skip with the dust..    :( ...    ;D ...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

myatt1972

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:50:34 PM »
Ahh now we are talking, I was a sound engineer for a rock band for four years so I like a bit of loud music. Not always rock though, Im mellowing with age.
I listen to an american band called Dream Theater an amazing band but not everyones cup of tea, a cross between Pink Floyd and Metallica.
Cant go wrong with Queen, The Stones, Journey, and anything from the 80's.
I have music on all the time, at work and at home (drowns the mrs out)  ;D

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
Here's a playlist you'll like.. get ready for this.... The gerbil's having an argument with the hamster and the dog carrying turning tools is getting a bit worried.....

1: I can't see the wood for the trees. Flock of timber.
2: If I had a hammer, I'd be hitting something else. The elm brothers.
3: Cherry baby, won't you come out tonight. Larry and the oaks.
4: Board meeting.. The MDF crew