Author Topic: Stand for Jet Mini Lathe  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Stand for Jet Mini Lathe
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
Can anyone advise on, or recommend, a suitable stand for the Jet Mini Lathe?
I have found the Sealey SM3002ST but none of the stockists (or Sealey themselves) can give me the dimensions of it.  All I have found out is that it will support 30 kgs.
Ideally I would like to be able to transport it in the back of a car to Craft Fairs - along with other equipment.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Stand for Jet Mini Lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
I use a work mate. I have a platform with a long tenon that clamps in the workmate and the lathe screws down onto ti with a screen clamped on the front.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
Peter,
I currently use a workmate but it is in need of replacement so I was looking for something with a bit more stability whilst still being portable(ish).
Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
why not make/design one to your own specs???

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
Pete,
That's the 'fall back' position if there is no readymade solution.
Dave

Paul Disdle

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
Would one of the axminster ones work they will at least know the measurements if you phone them
http://www.axminster.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=lathe+stand

Paul

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
My club has an Axminster m330 and I have made two stands for it, one  to stand at the lathe, and this is used mainly for club demo's. Thanks to recurring back problem I need to sit down a lot, so I made a lower stand so I can sit and turn (but not demonstrate!) Both stands work well and both together cost less than a bought stand. So get some 2"*4" and some ply or Mdf and make what you need.
Ron

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice gents, I think the diy option is the best; although the Axminster one is ideal, there are too many numbers after the £ sign.

Dave

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Go for it Dave, don't forget the vital measurement though, the drive centre should be at the height of your elbow when you are standing up!
Ron