Author Topic: A few vases I've been working on - 2  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
A few vases I've been working on - 2
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
The normal Vase shaped one is Spalted Apple, 210mm High. The branch died on the tree and a friend dragged it to me on the train on his way to work - there's friendship for you!

The waisted one is Laburnum, 2 views to show the difference in Heart & Growth Wood, 200mm High.

All Vases (1st & this post) finished in many layers of Oil.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

Re: A few vases I've been working on - 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
I like the classic form of the apple vase, but whilst the laburnum is a wondeful colour/s I'm not sure about the form. The ball/bead feature is too large for me.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:46 PM »

It's 2 beautiful pieces of wood, wonderful figures, like the Apple, as I'd work with it alot in the past.   I wondered if with the forms, the base of both were a bit to big, the 1st one would have more of a flow to it through the bead, it's that you can picture what you want it to be, but it will not come out just right.   It's turning form an on it's side, to a up right view that dosn't work at times in the minds eye, well I find.

It's with the colours in your 1st post, we don't at times see the right results or for what we think are right, woman can be more artistic minded than we maybe if it comes to colour, we can't win it all...     ;D .......

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
I love the figuring of the laburnum, which is a favourite of mine anyway but like Andy I think there's something not quite right with the form.

I wonder if the bead had been a cove in a sort of classic urn shape it would have looked better.  (if you seen what I mean! :-\)

Cheers Dave

petjeffery

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:17:24 PM »
i really like these  well done you  great work