Author Topic: Cordless Drills  (Read 9598 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Cordless Drills
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
Ladies & Gentlemen

I  believe it was this list that carried discussion which mentioned Lidl's cordless drill/driver for £30.

Aldi have now introduced one for £20!

With best wishes. 

MC

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Cordless Drills
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
I saw that in the Specials for tomorrow. Looks OK, comes with charger and a small selection of bits.

Might be useful as a replacement for my Makita which is not holding  its charge so well these days.

Only problem is I'm out at a Fair tomorrow so hopefully my local Aldi will still have some in stock on Monday!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »
David

This Lidl's special won't be anywhere close to a Makita you get what you pay for

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
I would have to agree with Edbanger. They may be OK for an emergency replacement or for using in places where it will probably get damaged etc but finding something like a Makita/dewalt without to big a degree of runout is hard enough, at this price point it must be impossible  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »
I would have to agree with Edbanger. They may be OK for an emergency replacement or for using in places where it will probably get damaged etc but finding something like a Makita/dewalt without to big a degree of runout is hard enough, at this price point it must be impossible  :)

I  don't understand “runout”; I should be most grateful if you would kindly clarify.

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Whenever I put a drill bit in a drill I give it a quick little burst of power while looking closely at the bit to make sure it is spinning in a nice straight wobble free line. If I haven't centred the bit in the chuck properly it won't spin straight  ( I probably haven't explained that properly, can you picture what I mean ? )
Runout is where the motor shaft isn't quite true and you get that affect, somewhat reduced,  even when the bit is centred in the chuck.
Regards
Graham

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
Almost anything that goes round and round is good enough for power sanding.Save your Mak for the more precision sensitive stuff seems like a reasonable idea to me.
Best
Brian

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »
That is a very valid point Brian.
Regards
Graham

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »
I think that you will find that you will soon burn the motor out on a 20.00 drill but the question is will you get through 10 20.00 drills before the quality one wears out.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »
Interesting selection of comments!  The old Makita has lasted since 2007 with some rough handling but one of the batteries is not holding the charge.

The Work Zone one is fairly similar in looks to the Mak and for £20 and a 3 year guarantee, will do the job as a "second string" drill.

By the way, our local Aldi sold out on Sunday morning and I have to drive 5 miles to another store to pick one up today. It's true what they say "when it's gone, it's gone" but Aldi Customer Services tracked down a store with stock and then rang the store to confirm. Nice touch.

At least I can now do/undo the buttons on my cole jaws a little easier now!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
There is an interesting thread in there somewhere. 'What I use a cordless drill for' :)
Regards
Graham

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
There is an interesting thread in there somewhere. 'What I use a cordless drill for' :)
Yeah I think some of these may be better left unsaid!! ;D ;D ;D

Jacktownhill

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Another interesting observation might well be -- How many really good Cordless Drills have we all collectively - With DUD batteries ?

I have a Great Hitachi with three seriously useless Batteries & A once valued Makita with two battery units that will no longer hold any kind of charge.

The replacement Battery market seems to demand ultra high cost & the shipping charges are simply huge ?

I tried to figure out wether to bite the bullet & buy a new Drill with the Lithium Batteries - Or shop around for a seriously reduced price on an old Model Makita kit ?

Has anyone any suggestions to offer here ??

Jack

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »

Has anyone any suggestions to offer here ??

Corded?

Okay it sounds glib as an answer but not every job needs a cordless drill, I mainly use my corded drill. The cordless only comes out when it's a quick job or at a distance from a power socket.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:58:18 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:54 PM »

You can't fault corded for any job, fair enough you may not get torque control with every drill should you need that, a lot do have slow start... not my old B&D .. used it to sand the latest piece .. could have been a bit fast even in lowest speed.

I'm in the camp on the dead battery front too with the cordless..  Not having the money years ago for Makita prices.. B&Q Managers special Own brand 2 drills.. drill/driver and drill/hammer with 3 batteries ... as for the quick job these days ..  ::) ..

Had a Bosch before that .. Battery ..

Firm I'd been with had best part everything Makita .. so I've a preference as kit over other makes. I did like Elu ..

Cheers  Dischanged

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''