Author Topic: long time  (Read 3599 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
long time
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »
This has been a pain from start to finish, mainly my fault as I couldnt decide which way to go dark-light or whatever. I coloured the outside with Burgundy spirit stain, didnt like it so sanded it off did the same for the inside and removed it only to put it back. Settled on dark inside and rim and the foot has been done as well. Add to that enumerable interruptions and cold weather with the WOP not going off etc . The joys of a unheated tin shed for a workshop. Probably brought this all on myself as I am trying to finish several pieces at once with the weather being a total pain, low temps and all. Not as cold some of you guys experience I'm down to around 6-8' C and the WOP is not co-operating. Had to warm it up and bring the piece into the house to get its temp up as well.
I have posted this as a WIP before and finally got it finished

Burgundy spirit stain topped off with Satin WOP 7x5" in Silky Oak and your comments are welcome

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: long time
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »
Hi Hughie

Well it was worth the wait, as per normal it looks stunning I think the dark rim really set it off.

I understand now how much work goes in to your work, I've been play around with the spiral myself hopeful I get something good enough to post myself in the future.

Ed

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »
Hi Hughie

Well it was worth the wait, as per normal it looks stunning I think the dark rim really set it off.

I understand now how much work goes in to your work, I've been play around with the spiral myself hopeful I get something good enough to post myself in the future.

Ed

Ed the first one is by far the hardest especially if your like. My first one was a real challenge and I made decisions on the run some good some bad and it took for ages to complete

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »
Another masterpiece Hughie.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
There are two things that I particularly like about this one. Firstly, the light pattern of the open spirals on the back of the bowl, seen through the spirals on the front, and, secondly, the contrast that the dark stain on the interior has given to the piece. I'm glad that you didn't go with the stain on the outside and I think that your solution was spot-on.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »
I like it a lot. I am, too, in the process of making an open spiral vessel, and I hope to post soon, barring any mishaps. Well done. Nice job. Malcolm.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
Hughie,

your normal work has the spirals with a curved cross-section, these are flat. it's changed the whole feel of your work, this piece has a very 'modern' feeling about it.

Such a small change for such a different effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »
Hughie,

your normal work has the spirals with a curved cross-section, these are flat. it's changed the whole feel of your work, this piece has a very 'modern' feeling about it.

Such a small change for such a different effect.
It has turned out that way yes, a lot better than I anticipated. It also has gained a lot of positive comments.