Author Topic: Monkey Puzzle Pot  (Read 1843 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Monkey Puzzle Pot
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:35:01 PM »
My latest creation a monkey puzzle pot it's 230mm high x 280mm diameter Danish oiled and clear beeswax finish

Please let me know what you think

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Monkey Puzzle Pot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »

A classical shape with a very nice finish on what can be a very difficult wood.
       Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
Sorry Ed,

this is not for me. It's a nice finish but the shape loses it, there is no defining feature at the curve transition points so it seems a bit loose almost as of you let the tool do what it wanted. It does not gel as a shape I'm afraid.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:44:24 PM »
thanks for the reply's,

Your comments dr4g0nfly I think are correct, I posted it on an FB group that I joined and the lack of comments made me think that is was not a good shape, I rough turned this a couple of months ago and finished it last week, it was based on one of the large stately home type pots. My turning has move on a bit in this time and I think that if I were turning it today the shape would have been complete different.

I'm looking out for some more monkey puzzle has I think that it could make a great hollow form with the knots being towards the top.

Ed

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
I personally do not find the form pleasing to the eye , but you have achieved a great finish on that piece and monkey puzzle end grain is a difficult wood to do that on so well done !  I find that it soaks up a lot  finishing oil as well !  Your comment on the positioning of the knots is quite true  , I find they look best when on roughly the widest point of a hollow form of classic shape which typically will be about 1/3 of the way from top or bottom ( depending on shape )   . Monkey puzzle is not readily available from suppliers ,so you never know when it might be available ,but when it does there is usually loads of it !, sticky horrible resin when fresh though .   ...Terry...