Author Topic: How Many Turners in the UK  (Read 4979 times)

Offline desmoengine

• iron
  • Livingston,West Lothian,Scotland
Re: How Many Turners in the UK
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
very interesting topic so far.
just as an example of the club to which I am a member ,we have 150 names listed on our book 80% we estimate are active wood turners , only approx 24 are members of the AWGB, detail like this will skew the sums.
I think it would be fair to guesstimate that there are probably 25000 plus woodturners in uk.
dave w
Dave Willcocks
willcockswoodwercks@virginmedia.com

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »

It has been very interesting so far. Should we go by Club attendance, I've been in 4 during the coarse of my lifetime as a Turner, currently I'm not with a Club, yet still a paid up Member of the AWGB.

A head count at a venue, this past Yandles, difficult, ticket sales by Nelton, then again we don't all attend... can look like it when it comes to finding parking. Then discount the non-turning family members and the just interested parties ..  :o ...

For the Forum ..  576 ... most on line 65 .. close at 64 last week !! Should we hold a poll, what % would the turnout be or just guesstimate from the RPT & AWGB Membership !!

The answer, the ball park figure's.. we may never know.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
I tried to work out how many turners in the USA, the difficulty is there's no surveys or national stats to look up. The sale of lathes is a poor indicator as many of us own more than one lathe, at one stage I owned 6 I'm down to two at the moment.