Author Topic: Tail Stock Adaptable Live Centre  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Tail Stock Adaptable Live Centre
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »
This is another useful gadget I've adapted from my engineering friends. It's a Threaded Live Centre.

You can get them here although currently they are not advertising the 3/4" x 16 I bought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-2MT-REVOLVING-LIVE-CENTRE-THREADED-14-X-1-MYFORD-LATHE-ML7-SUPER-7-/370695479012?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item564f2c1ee4

Then a quick trip down the local 'Nuts & Bolts' shop, £3 bought me 6 3/4 x 16 nuts and et Voila I can make any shape tail centre support I want.

Great for re-centering vases etc, supporting them against vibration etc, etc.. and another trick, maybe I'll show you another time.

What tips and good ideas have you to share?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Tail Stock Adaptable Live Centre
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:11 AM »
Hi Brian,
            a useful gadget. I must admit to doing something similar with my live centre but do not bolt it all in place.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
I bought one of these a while ago on ebay  from RDG. Great device and very useful. I use it with a wooden cone (as one of the photos above) mounted onto a 4 jaw chuck. Also I use it to centre rings in my segmenting work, the ring either being glued temporarily onto MDF with a back plate onto the chuck or with cole jaws on the chuck. Great also when you want to part off two pieces as you can support both halves in chuck jaws. Wouldn't be without it. Malcolm.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 08:53:37 AM »
Great idea for a thread, Bryan....here's my ideas for gadgets, some of which have been shown before.

Bowl and platter reversing...apart from the usual Cole jaws for my scroll chuck, I also have a series of replacement 'buttons' that I can use to suit the shape of the rim of bowls that I'm reversing. I didn't set out to buy these, specifically, but can't resist browsing in hardware shops and when I see something that I believe could be useful (and isn't too expensive) I buy it. So, a collection of tap washers, door stops and rubber bungs have now built up and all get frequently used.

Incidentally, the rubber door-stops can be very useful when reversing small items against a friction pad, as a means of pressing them in place, without marking them. They can also be used as a gentle form of support at the tailstock end, for spindle-turned items that tend to 'throw' or wobble when their stem is turned very narrow.

In a similar manner to the collection of Cole-jaw buttons, I'm also building up a variety of buttons and cams for my platter reversing jigs, which I use quite frequently...

I have several compression chucks made of timber. They are all cup-shaped and use hose clips to tighten them. They are very useful for gripping delicate items and especially for hollowing hemi-spherical shapes, to say nothing of safely holding timber that is riddled with splits and cracks....

I keep a set of 'dollies' that can be face-plate of scroll-chuck mounted, these can be concave, or convex and are usually used with a piece of friction-cloth over them.

One of the most useful aids that I made a few months ago was a very simple rack that fits into the outboard banjo and holds loads of sundry items that are now easily put back where they belong and I no longer have to go searching for them amongst the shavings. This pic shows it temporarily slipped into the banjo over the bed because I was platter reversing at the time.

....and finally, there's a tool rest that I use in front of my grinder, for scrapers and roughing-out gouges. Being made of wood, there's a lot of friction on the bracket between the base and the table section. This is easily controlled by adjusting the tightness of the securing/pivot bolt, so I can adjust it by just tapping the table on the front or back edge, without having to fiddle with the fixings each time.

No doubt other things will come along as time goes by....I really enjoy thinking about gadgets like this and getting them working efficiently.

Les

p.s. John (BHT)....I turned those hose-clips around ;)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »
Ah Les I was just about to say that  ;D ;D

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
the standard revolving centre I have on my lathe has a 3/4 by 16 thread,which is handy as I picked up a bunch of large taps with holder in a box for £2 at a boot sale and one of them just happens to be 3/4 by 16,so seeing this gives me the incentive to get around to making some screw on adapters for the revolving tailcentre,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
Now we are getting somewhere.

Come on folks, post your homemade gadgets and otherwise useful cross-serviced items.

I'll poto a few other things and post them in the next few days.

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
I have a graduate lathe for everyday use, I cut a piece of plywood long enough to fit between the headstock (with the banjo tight against it) and the tailstock, a piece of wood the same width as the gap in between the bed screwed to the underneath and I have a ready made bench for working on small things and also easily lit because of the multitude of lights around that area. I have also made a smaller one to fit into the vice so that my work bench is elevated by 9" or so which is also useful on occasions.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »
John,

Sounds like a useful idea - Eh... Piccie!

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
yeah when I round tuit  :D

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
.... I cut a piece of plywood long enough to fit between the headstock (with the banjo tight against it) and the tailstock, a piece of wood the same width as the gap in between the bed screwed to the underneath and I have a ready made bench for working on small things ....
I use a small version of this to use under turned items when I am applying finishes. It is somewhere secure to stand the tin / pot and it prevents any finish getting on the bed of the lathe.
It is also useful when changing chuck jaws, which I do with the chuck still on the lathe, with a magnetic dish on the headstock to hold the loose screw.
When not in use my table is parked at the far end of the lathe. I have fixed two pipe clips to the back edge and this makes a useful ‘temporary’ tool holder.

Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
That's the one! no need for a picture now.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »

It is also useful when changing chuck jaws, which I do with the chuck still on the lathe, with a magnetic dish on the headstock to hold the loose screw.

Would there be any benefit in putting a magnetic dish on the table in the hope it will catch the screws that you drop?

Is the magnet strong enough?

MC

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
.... I cut a piece of plywood long enough to fit between the headstock (with the banjo tight against it) and the tailstock, a piece of wood the same width as the gap in between the bed screwed to the underneath and I have a ready made bench for working on small things ....
I use a small version of this to use under turned items when I am applying finishes. It is somewhere secure to stand the tin / pot and it prevents any finish getting on the bed of the lathe.
When not in use my table is parked at the far end of the lathe. I have fixed two pipe clips to the back edge and this makes a useful ‘temporary’ tool holder.

Paul, it's also handy to see you've clamped the grinder to the end of the bed, it's nearby and a good hight as well.

Cheers for sharing.  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''