Author Topic: Expansion Chuck Help  (Read 4033 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Expansion Chuck Help
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get an expansion chuck not sure that I'm calling it by it's correct name.

I've seen someone using an old one, but I can't seem to find them online so it might be called something else.

It's use was in turning burr's you drill a hole down into the burr the chuck body which is a cylinder is inserted into the hole and tighten which expands it thus gripping the burr so it can be safely mounted on the lathe.

Hope that makes scene.

Thanks

Ed

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
Re: Expansion Chuck Help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
It sounds like you are referring to a the variation of the pin chuck that came out many years ago.

The pin chuck http://www.peterchild.co.uk/chucks/pinchuck.htm was designed for using with natural top vessels. The variation had 4 "wings" that splayed out to tighten rather than using the pin.

I never found it that good at holding, particularly with wet timber. As things move on IMHO there are better ways of dealing with the issue of holding on an uneven surface such as between centre, screw chuck etc.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
Ed,

you are talking about a Scroll Chuck.

Look up the Supernova2 (or 3) or the Vicmark, or the Axminster Super precision,

They all come with C Jaws, but they can be changed for various other jaw sates inluding deep hole Grippers.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Richard Stapley

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:49:14 AM »
Ed you are probably thinking of the Mini Gripper which was originally from Craft Supplies in the USA and I also think Craft Supplies in the UK also sold it.

I was asked about this a couple of weeks back as I have a picture of one I modified on my Web Site and trolled the Web but could not find a seller anywhere.

Richard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:12:47 AM »
Richard,

I've regularly visited your site, never realised it was you in this forum, excellent resource, thank you for it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
I'm with Mark. A pin chuck.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
Now you see I can remember a type of chuck that was inserted into a hole and then when tightened it drew a wedge up the centre so wedging the whole thing open. Can't for the life of me remember what they were called though, might even still have it in one of the dark unihabitable corners of the workshop.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
Hi Guys thanks for the help.

Mark I mount smaller burr's this way, but my Axminster will only accept 16" over the bed, and I'm looking to turn much larger burr's that this.

The pin chuck look's like it will do the job I'll phone Peter Child's and ask what sort of weight you can mount on the pin chuck, and I'll take a look at the deep gripper and find out if that will fit my Patriot, that might also work.

Bowler that's the thing I was looking for, they came in different lengths and diameters,  if the name come's back to you please let me know.

Ed

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
If you are looking to be turning burrs in excess of 16" with their inevitable unbalanced weight then you should really be using a face plate in my opinion .

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »
Hi TWIG

I'm with you and that's the way I was going to do it but then I saw this bedded chuck the guy had, had for years he didn't know where he got it or what it was called, so I thought I would investigate because if you could get it large enough that would take the weight of 30kg plus it might be a stronger and better hold.

Ed 

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
ED having used that chuck in the past I agree with twig that the safest way is to use a faceplate. The beauty of that method is you can hot glue wedges onto the burr to "throw" it to get the best out of the piece. Using other methods, and especially the pin chuck, you cannot readily do this.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »
Thank's Bowler - didn't think of gluing on pieces that's a great idea get the faceplate level make sure the screws are long enough to go through the packing pieces and secure in to the burr its self job done.

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
Some of the odd shaped pieces I use I do as John said using wedges and hot glue. Only downside I have come across using this method has been picking the glue out of the crevices etc afterwards LOL. Make sure the glue is running liquid before applying though to make sure it is good and hot.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Thanks Pete I'll get some tooth picks :)