Author Topic: Just having a tidy up  (Read 10027 times)

Offline John

• bronze
Re: Just having a tidy up
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54:57 AM »
Hi,
My workshop is used on three days a week for teaching, this is in two hour sessions. The shop is clean at the start of the first session a quick cleanup before the second session (and lunch) I make sure the working areas are safe and clean ready for the afternoon/evening session. Like Nick the vacuum cleaner is my favorite tool I don't use an air line as this just moves the dust everywhere. All this said the shop is not tidy the bench is usually covered with unfinished projects and equipment (and my "traveling lathe")
I am also equipped with dust extraction and an air scrubber.
John
John English

Nick Arnull

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
How tidy is your workshop  was the title for this thread I recall Personally this goes hand in hand with all that has ensued through the discussion and has not gone off thread or been hijacked in any way I do totally agree the process of woodturning should be fun.
I would point out there is a difference between all in my opinion they are Hobby Turners, Craft Turners and Proffessional Turners.
We all however have a position upon which we stand and it from here we develop our viewWhich hopefully allow for healthy and constructive discussions..

Tony

I'm with you, I saw this as a bit of fun, and it's now H&S, I have enough of this at work. H&S stops at the door of my workshop and good old fashion common scene then take's over  :)

I can't believe that someone who want's to learn how to turn need's to go in to a atmospheric dust free zone, without the trace of wood.

Next we will be having to put our lathe's in incubaters, No wonder why the world of woodturning is a dieing art.

Any of my friends that I shown how to wood turn love it, "It's Fun"

The workshop is my work place so H&S need to be taken into account when teaching somebody who has never turned before,we are unaware what if any allergies they may have,it is my responsibility to do all I can to protect them in what is referred to I believe by the Insurance Companies as "An Industrial environment" Wood Turning is classified as an industrial process.I also recall one company informing me how to store the debris from the workshop prior to removal they also insisted upon a site visit to asses the risks involved.
Dirty chaotic workshop I guess they may even refuse to cover the risk.Add wooden building and a wood burner and I am pretty sure you may well find it very difficult indeed to find acceptable insurance.
IE: "All wood shavings must be stored in a brick/fireproof locked building 100mtrs from the workshop" I don't recall which company this was but it was in the not so small print supplied to my in a quote some years ago.
Nick Arnull.RPT.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 01:00:21 AM »

"How tidy is your workshop" Mine (last words "this will be your workshop") has since become the Wife's storage, When it comes too "I've no room or can you", where does it end up... so for untidy it's bikes, boxes, whatever and move it out/round the shop to work...  :( ..

At the end of the day, when I have worked.. it's to clear and clean up, [bikes to go back etc] and it's a case as well tools and equipment don't go missing, lids are on finishes, any cloth placed to dry or disposed of properly ... everything hopefully in it's place,  as with tools being cleaned .. wet shaving depending on the timber will soon rust any metal that it comes/remains in contact with.

To make any distinction between Wood Turners, or the place in which we work ... Professional is the way in which You and I conduct Ourselves and one's work ethics... be it your line of work or a few hours at the Lathe, it all creates a small or large volume of shaving, only so much you can kick under the bench or be able to stand on.

So where are we .. a good old once a year Spring Clean and a daily dust ..  ;D ..

Cheers  Mr Tidy .. for a day.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''