Author Topic: Candles  (Read 2068 times)

Paul Disdle

Candles
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »
When making pieces to except candles I believe for safety you would use a candle holder insert,  do you need one of these if you are using tea lights in the metal things.

Thanks

Paul

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Candles
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi Paul, Candles are one of these issues of safety, at best use a holder, the metal will get hot, yes it is in a turned holder, but there is heat transfer... it's how if it's the light alone, it's burns through plastic .. fire in TV has been the case..

If you've not already read a past thread the link is:http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,2047.0.html .. always be safe.

Cheers  David
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:01:20 PM by woodndesign »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
Paul,

search back a bit, we discussed this recently.

However the law requires a non-flammable interface between the wax and the holder. The metal cup of a tealight is technically sufficient, but I always fit one of the little glass tealight holders available from Ikea at 10 for £1.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:07 PM »
Thanks that has confirmed my suspicion,  I had looked at previous threads but didn't  look under the light bulb thread.

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
Hi Paul...I recently contacted my local trading standards office to discuss the sale of candles. It took them a month, but I finally got a reply and, if you want to be 100% legal, you would not believe the amount of paperwork. As Bryan mentioned, there are mandatory and advisory labels, but what is more, the TS office asked that I make a submission to them and that they either visit my workshop to ensure that I'm trading safely, or I call at their office with samples of my products and my labeling..............I won't be bothering to sell candles!

The strange thing is that I recently visited a candle shop and didn't see a single safety notice!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »

Les, well done on following this up with the TS.. it's like most things .. it's over governed by regulations for our feared safety .. it is !!! that we must comply to the letter and in doing so.. in the end, if the end user leaves out the interface or wishes to jam a larger candle in .. should we be at fault for the result .. well it's become the customer is always right !!!! there in lays the problem and we face the cop out.

Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''