Author Topic: The Pop Question  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
The Pop Question
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »
I have asked this on another forum as well but would like to see what you think here.

How do you see the fit on a turned box between the lid and the base. Your views on this could be very interesting.

So many say it has to be a pop fit, surely with wood being a natural material and subject to moving in different conditions if it is a pop fit this could lead to being a very tight fit.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: The Pop Question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
I agree, Derek. I like to rough out boxes if I can, and later turn to an 'easy' fit....as you say, the 'pop' fit is asking for trouble.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
Derek I think if you want a pop fit you need to use wood that is really dry and even then you could run into problems with movement and shrinkage. Personally I do not go for snug fitting lids, my reasoning is this, most of the people that buy boxes are women. They buy them to put bits of jewellery in or suchlike. Imagine a lady coming in from a night out, takes a ring off with one hand and wants to open the box with the other, she will not be happy having to pick the box up and use 2 hands. That's why I do it.
I am sure there will be other comments on this as everyone makes or has made a box at sometime.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »
I used to make alot of boxes,which were taken/sold to ladies,they all prefered the looser fit,to quote,"so it won`t break my nails getting the lid off ",but prefer a tighter fitting lid myself,also most were end grain boxes,so didn`t get much movement,on the whole,woodturners like tight lids,general public like loose lids,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
I have the first box that I made years ago, with the movement it's tight, if turned to opposite spots, very loss in the correct grain orientation, yet pops still, but takes two hands to hold.

The views on the fit of any lid, is as with the finish details to the foot/base .. very much a Turners' thing .. in short a mark as to one's skills or lack of them, if the fit is not just right, Russian not French .. unless it's screwed ... again you're facing problems with movement and shrinkage if the timber is not suitable nor dry for chasing.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
I'm with the consensus. It depends upon the purpose. If it's something to be used regularly as in something on a ladies dressing table, then a loose (one hand lift) fit.

If its a display piece, you can go for the Pop-off (Davids Russian), or a slightly easier fit.

However I always go for the tight fit to start with to enable me to hold the lid on place on the box body to finish turning and finishing it. A French fit (To-Loose) won't let you do this.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!