Author Topic: Corian Box  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Bellringer75

• copper
Corian Box
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
Well I finished making this Corain box today it was sanded to 1000 grit wet and dry and the 300 and 500 farecla

The only thing i don't like about this one is the top is to big compared to the bottom so I am going to make the next one with 4 sheets for the bottom and 3 for the top.

Also some thing i learnt is that for every thing but drill speed is the key i turned and finished it at 2500 rpm

But i really enjoyed making it

What do people think of it

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Corian Box
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »
Very nice indeed. Lovely finish. What did you use to glue the Corian sheets with? Malcolm.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »
The critical thing is that you enjoyed making it! If you want to improve on it, try making the base twice as high as the top; that way you should get a pleasing overall proportion.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bellringer75

• copper
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
Very nice indeed. Lovely finish. What did you use to glue the Corian sheets with? Malcolm.

i used CA glue

Offline Bellringer75

• copper
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
The critical thing is that you enjoyed making it! If you want to improve on it, try making the base twice as high as the top; that way you should get a pleasing overall proportion.

Les

I think you might be right

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
I've never turned the stuff but it looks like it gives a good finish. In fact it looks like highly polished grey granite.

les is correct, the 1/3 to 2/3 rule is a very good idea to follow. Not just in boxes but as transition points for curves, tall finial heights etc.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!