Author Topic: 'Pagoda Box'  (Read 3352 times)

Clavico

'Pagoda Box'
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:32:10 PM »
I have done a couple of asian style boxes and I am still working on one that I am fully satisfied with.  This one is the second one and I like it but it's not exactly what I want to achieve. I would however appeciate your comments both positive and negative.

It is ash of course with a touch of blackwood.  115 mm x  85 mm

Thanks for looking.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: 'Pagoda Box'
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
I can see where you are going with this but as is often the case with these things there is something not quite right. Perhaps the lid section is a bit too thick? I can't really fault any one thing as such other than the sum of the parts somehow don't quite work for me. maybe it's just me LOL. Each part looks well made and finished so for me it boils down to the overall shape and proportions. Sorry I can;'t be more specific :-(

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
I think it may be the lid, I wonder if the corners would look better if they swept up or appeared to. I like the idea of the black accent but not sure if it works on this one.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Clavico, that is one smart little box, I like how you've worked out the orientation of the grain, the lid (roof form) and bead knob, looks as if you turned the underside to give a stand/stilt foot.

Well done, you're heading in the right direction, not there maybe, we can all get preconceived ideas as to what any form/part of it should be, but be pleased with this one.

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:13:52 AM »
Hi Clavico....Can I be so bold as to suggest that you Google 'Pagoda' and have a quick scan through Google images. There are  a couple of recurring features of the classic pagoda form that could help answer your question.
Essentially, it comes down to 2 things.....
1....as John (The Bowler Hatted Turner) pointed out, the corners of the lid should point upwards. All pagodas have this feature
2....the way that the blackwood detail in the roof breaks the sweep of the curve is spot on, but, having established that a a feature of the roof, could you not have copied it with the little ash finial and with the corners? On traditional pagoda roofs, the spacing of the roof details are obsessively calculated, being graduated from bottom to top. The irregularity of the details on your lid are breaking the roof up into uneven areas.

Having said all that, the body is a nice piece of olive ash, with a pleasing, regular curve on it, and it's still a pleasant shape.

Hope it helps...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »
Nice selection of wood in this piece, like the feet on it as well the whole thing looks well turned

Seeing this reminds me that I must get around to the triple box pagoda that I have planned

Clavico

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks so much for your input.  I will work on a third box and Derek, I am looking forward to seeing that three-tiered pagoda box. I do want to say that I always try to create my own designs. For example, I could have just copied Jason Breach's small Padoga box but that wouldn't have really been mine but would have been without so much risk.

Robert

Nick Arnull

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
Hi Robert, I like the others like the concept but feel the lid needs to be reworked I was under the impression that pagodas had multi layers but I think this is incorrect the base with a lid seems to work well but the bottom curve on the lid needs to follow the top in my opinion, this would then to give the lid, lift it would also add grace to the base.
Just my opinions
Nick Arnull.RPT.i

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
Thought you might to see a different take on a Pagoda Box using a different technique. Based on Cindy Drozda's triangle box. Wood wasn't the best when I got to trying to shape the lid but after the work involved in threading I decided to finish it anyway. 

Clavico

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
Hello, Buzzbee,

That is another take on the theme.  Thanks for showing it.  That's plum isn't it. It loves to crack. I have done treads but I don't like them because I just like the 'plop' when you take off a well-turned lid.

Nick,  Thanks for your comments and ideas. I appreciate it.

Robert

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
Robert,

the problem for me is also the lid. The detail of the box looks let down by the lines of the lid. it sweeps up in a series of rolling steps, not defined curves with a break (quirk) between each.

but the shape of the box to the ring in the box is awesome.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!