Author Topic: Another experiment:  (Read 2900 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Another experiment:
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
Not sure if this works or not.I like it at the moment but may change my mind later .This is seriously spalted hazel and is 6 1/2" diameter x 2 1/2" tall. The 'finial' if you can call it that is also hazel though not spalted and is in the fashion of what I call a chanterelle (natural edge to you lot) goblet as they remind me of the mushrooms and sound nicer. It is hollowed to 4mm after a debate on another forum thought I better make at least one thinner one and weighs in a 7 1/2 ozs or 220gms. C+C welcome.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Another experiment:
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »

Hi Pete, from the upper picture it looks a little more on the punky side, than seriously spalted ..

Your very words 'Not sure if this works' well.. you've gone out there with this piece .. that's about it.. is it the 'finial' not working, call a neck a neck, as it looks like that as a form, in as much it is different and makes one think, throw away the box and what is left is just a mindset.... B&R ..   ;D ..

For the piece it has great protential, I like it, grows on one.. as it could well be something organic, plant form.. cuckoo pint..

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
not sure about the finial/cup/vase thingy,but saying that,beauty is in the eye of the beholder,what`s right for one isn`t for another,so who`s to judge really, I see in the bottom pic you have a design oppertunity in it at the back,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
Pete,

I really like both turnings but you are right, they don't sit together. It might be the balance 50/50 in height almost, but I'm not sure if the chantrell was smaller or taller it would help. I think it is too slim for the shape of the main form's shape.

I'll wait out for you to try another finial/lid.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
I like both pieces but I agree with the others not sure they work together, been looking at this a few times today and can't make my mind up for what it's worth.

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Must admit I am torn as though I like it and the idea I am not sure that it works but can't put my finger on why. I'll have a play and see what I can come up with, maybe a thinner 'finial' (what else do I call it LOL?) I try to avoid the normal style finials and so am experimenting so nothing lost.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
Don't ask, I've no idea where the idea just jumped into my head from but...

Suddenly I saw a few more of the chantrell's being added and a mouthpiece, as some sort of strange musical instrument.

You can laugh now!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!