Author Topic: Alder burr bowls  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Alder burr bowls
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »
Isn't it strange how two such different bowls can emerge from the same lump of timber? I recently bought a batch of burr alder ( alnus betulaceae ), a genus belonging to the birch family. Birch can be very bland, but not this stuff, it's got a rich colour and beautiful grain, especially when burr is present.
This first piece had a lot of worm in it, and some of it was still live, so it got saturated in a worm-treatment solution, which darkened the wood, rather. After a few coats of linseed oil and a good buffing, it's taken on a really rich, deep chestnut colour.

On the other hand, this next piece, which came from the same batch, had less burr in it and not enough natural edge to be worth saving, so it's a more traditional piece and is finished with a microcrystaline wax.

Les

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:43:02 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Alder burr bowls
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »
Hi Les,
           I must admit to preferring the second bowl. The wood has an almost translucent quality to it, the other one is nicely turned and finished but its the first one for me. Now wait 'til Pete (bodrighy) sees it this, he will fall in love with the first one. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards
John
BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
Hi Les,
           I must admit to preferring the second bowl. The wood has an almost translucent quality to it, the other one is nicely turned and finished but its the first one for me. Now wait 'til Pete (bodrighy) sees it this, he will fall in love with the first one. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards
John
BHT

Now what makes you think that John? LOL. You're right of course. The more holes and natural defects the better. The 2nd one is good but to me it's just a well made bowl with a little bit of burring. No criticism, just personal taste.
It is one of the great things about working with wood you get from the raw so to speak, you never know what you are going to find inside the apparently similar exterior.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »

Les, you've two exceptionally nice bowls, each has it's own merit in classic form,  as you've said treatment of each is down to the finished result.

Photobucket reveals what should be the second shot of the burr form.. pictures as posted, two of the same... the other picture shows off your eye in catching the perfect form.

Be very pleased with these.  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

Like both bowls equally no preference at all.
    Your right Les its always amazing what comes out of a lump of wood.
    Congratulations on saving the bark not always easy.

Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
I like the top one the most,their both good,but the colour of the top one does it for me,just perfect,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »

Photobucket reveals what should be the second shot of the burr form.. pictures as posted, two of the same...
Oops....sorry, Dewi, don't know how I missed the fact that I'd posted the same pic twice....have corrected it now.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 05:11:06 PM »

Photobucket reveals what should be the second shot of the burr form.. pictures as posted, two of the same...
Oops....sorry, Dewi, don't know how I missed the fact that I'd posted the same pic twice....have corrected it now.

Les, it was no real problem, easy done, been there .. only the picture showed off the form at it's very best. Who else would of notices ..  ::) ..

Good on you to post.   Cheers  Dewi

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »
Instead of using worm treatments microwave the blank for 3 mins on medium. Kills all organics with no colour change.

nice bowls. Number 2 for me as well.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »
Les,

the difference between them, as they are from the same main piece of timber is striking.

I can't express a preference as they are too dissimilar to make fair a comparison.

All I'll say is that both stand out as work of quality, and a very good level of finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
Both are great piece's of turning but the 1st one win's by a mile for me.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
Instead of using worm treatments microwave the blank for 3 mins on medium. Kills all organics with no colour change.

Thanks Andy, that's really handy to know.....almost worth buying a cheap microwave oven for the workshop as I think that I might have a little difficulty getting the idea past Sal!
Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 06:33:30 AM »

All I'll say is that both stand out as work of quality, and a very good level of finish.
Thanks Bryan, I know how exacting you west-country boys are about your finishes, so that comment is a very welcome one.

Cheers Ed.....I'm with you on that as well....it's the type of bowl that I get most pleasure making

Les
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:35:01 AM by gwyntog »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »

Thanks Andy, that's really handy to know.....almost worth buying a cheap microwave oven for the workshop as I think that I might have a little difficulty getting the idea past Sal!
Les

Some timbers can cause the microwave to smell for days afterwards ... and not oak smoked .. not a nice taste with your Pasty ..

Dewi