Author Topic: Axminster 28-40 lathe  (Read 8248 times)

Cotgrove

Axminster 28-40 lathe
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »
This lathe has served well over the years.  However I now need to replace the tail stock assembly (or replace the lathe).  I wondered if there is anyone out there with a defunct one with a working tail stock which they would part with, within reasonable travelling distance of Suffolk.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Axminster 28-40 lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:45:39 PM »
sorry never heard of an Axminster 28-48 lathe,the only one I know of thats a 28-40 is a Poolewood,if you Google Poolewood he`ll come up as an engineering company in Kent,but he`s the guy that used to make them,he now does refurbishment work on all his old lathes.
welcome to my woodturning world

Cotgrove

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
The Axminster lathe is the same under the badge as the poolewood.  I have already tried the chap in kent who is able to supply the parts that go into the block but not the block itself.  I have also spoken to Axminster who no longer have parts for this model as it is so old.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
what about googleing an iron caster to cast a new tailstock up for you,might be worth a try,will be cheaper than a new lathe if you can`t get the parts anywhere else.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »
just googled "cast iron manufacturers UK "and there`s a long list of them there.

Cotgrove

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
Even some in the wilds of suffolk.  Will look into this.

slackbladder

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:00:59 AM »
Hi
 Which part of the tail stock is damaged,i have a spare casting

Cotgrove

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »
It is the casting.  However I have now got permission from the budget holder to replace the lathe with something more modern and I may go down this route.  In the extent that I don't, what do you want for the casting and what is your location. 

While posting I am taking the opportunity to ask for any comments on either killinger or jet lathes.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:12 AM »
Jet`s are excellent lathes I invested in a 3520B 18 months ago,cost a bit,but best investment I`ve made for years,its so accurate compared to the old Axminster Perform CCBL lathe I had before but didn`t notice till I got the Jet lathe.the new lathe is 2HP 20 inch swing over the bed,it says 35 between centres but thats without the live tailstock centre in place,if you push the headstock to its stop and the tailstock to its stop you get about 33" between centres.I do alsorts on the new lathe,from 5 mm high micro goblets with captive ring`s to at the moment working on a japanese totem pole,which when finnished will be around 13` high,made in sections of course,cheers,
Eric.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:37 AM »
I have to say that I do like my Killinger, I have the small one 1400 but it is so well built. Have a look at he spec and have a chat with Phil about them.
Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »

My money !!!! would go on the Jet JWL-1642 .. rated Industrial and comes on a stand, liked the looks of it at Nuneaton, compared with the Axminster AT1628VS .. Trade, also being used for the show, with that one the legs are extra, so about the same price wise, less you bench mount and don't need the bed extension kit. Word out there the Killinger is the same Lathe.

Wish you luck .. For Me, well to dream ..  :'( ..
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

slackbladder

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »
Hi
I'm in the Leicester area and if you want to see the casing just pm me
 A tenner should sort out payment for the casting

Cotgrove

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the offer re the casing.  I have now ordered a new killinger following visits to phil irons and to Axminster so no longer need the casing.  Anyone interested in parts for an Axminster 28/40 these will shortly be available.

Re the comment about jet and killinger being the same - the helpful man at Axminster told me that jet are assembled in Sweden from parts made in the Far East.  Killinger are made in Munich so seems unlikely.

slackbladder

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
Hi
Let me know when the parts become available,May be interested

Cotgrove

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
Likely to be mid to late May depending on delivery of new lathe.